You Can Do Anything…Like Appreciate Ken Barbie
May is a busy month and has a large number of birthdays, for both geminis and taureans. It is also the unofficial beginning of summer, and of course it is Ken Barbie Appreciation Month.
Ken Barbie is a young fiery gossip columnist, radio personality and host of an upfront and raw talk show. Barbie, 23, celebrates not only his gemini birthday this month but the birth of his website (ItsKenBarbie.com) and talk show Dirty Laundry. As Dirty laundry is well underway within its second season, Barbie is looking forward to this month to show love for his fans (often referred to as Pretty Boos).
“It’s not just about me,” says Barbie. “It’s also about showing appreciation to those that supported me. I want to be able to give back to different kinds of people.”
Dirty Laundry is one of the main project of Barbie’s that he has received a lot of support for. Dirty Laundry is a talk show where he and his co-host Pumpkin “P”, talk about a wide range of topics. These topics can be anything from “Top Ten Ways to Know Your Boyfriend Might be Gay” to “Abusive Relationships + The Top 10 Steps to Get Out”. The show is live and takes phone calls from the viewers, giving a chance to interact with host and answer any questions an audience member may have. The show is designed to give viewers the chance to air out any dirty laundry without any pressure. And with a motto stating, “Dirty Laundry. Where if you don’t air it out… we will,” you are sure to be nothing less than entertained.
For his radio personality, he works with very close friend (if not best friend) Pumpkin on her show The P Show. The P Show is hosted by both Pumpkin or “P” and Wendi. He is head contributor and lead for the entertainment blog portion of her radio broadcast. The P Show has a focus on upcoming artists.
“[We] want people to have fun and listen to independent artists all over the world,” says P. “You work hard for your craft. You care about it. Everybody that I’ve had on my show, I want to see go further.” Barbie is one of those people in the heart of P.
May was the month of a lot of firsts for Ken Barbie, of which were no accidents. He launched ItsKenBarbie.com in May on his birthday which debuted his first t-shirt from his line of merchandise. This of course means there may be another first coming soon.
As one of the grand finales for Ken Barbie Appreciation Month, Barbie will be doing a live performance of his own at Club Colours this Saturday, May 25th. He plans to go all out and bring the Ken Barbie doll to life. The event starts around 10pm and his act is scheduled for midnight. Along with Saturday’s performance at Club Colours (534 N Harrison St, Richmond), Barbie’s show can be seen on his website and he can be heard with The P Show at 1011TheFam.org.
The largest paper in the city, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, honored one stand out citizen from RVA for the second year in a row today, and while mayor elect Levar Stoney took the big prize, Diversity Richmond’s President Bill Harrison was among those nominated. “I’m quite humbled I am one of the most blessed people I [...]December 8, 2016
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery, December 7, 2016
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims,
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting,
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it