Why Obama May Be Safe In Virginia
Obama stops by a produce stand during his Virginia stop this weekend. Photo credit: Obama for America – Virginia
Living in currently Republican controlled Virginia one gets to experience the worse aspects of the GOP agenda which is focused on moving the state (and nation) backwards in time. It goes without saying that under this agenda gays, minorities and women are subordinate citizens.
And special rights for Christianists and their religious beliefs are the norm for Republican elected officials who seem to take their marching orders from the hate merchants and theocrats at The Family Foundation – an affiliate of Focus on the Family and registered hate group, Family Research Council. Thus, it would be ever so sweet to see Barack Obama carry Virginia again in November. A piece in The Atlantic makes the case that this might indeed happen. Here are excerpts:
HAMPTON, Virginia — At first glance, this former Confederate stronghold might seem like one of the harder swing states for the president to hang onto in 2012… But Obama has remained surprisingly resilient in Virginia. The last poll, conducted earlier this month by the Democratic firm Public Policy Polling, had him up 8 points on Mitt Romney here, 50 percent to 42 percent, and Real Clear Politics‘ aggregate of polls since May has the president up 3 points.
While Virginia is still likely to be competitive down to the wire,Obama may have reason to feel more confident here than other swing states, particularly in the Midwest. There are two major reasons: economics and demographics.
* Economics: The unemployment rate in Virginia is 5.6 percent,tied for the ninth lowest in the country. Republicans, starting with McDonnell, would like to take credit for the state’s rosy jobs picture, but the truth is that the state is mostly insulated from economic vicissitudes by the large number of its citizens who work for the federal government and the military. In recent days, the Romney camp has rolled out a new line of attack that seeks to blame Obama for the looming defense cuts set to automatically take place at the end of the year if Congress doesn’t act. But there are a couple of problems with this line: First, it’s pretty easy for Obama to put the blame back on Congress, which approved the so-called sequester on a bipartisan basis to begin with, and which, you may have heard, is not popular. Second, it’s essentially criticizing the president for wanting to cut government spending and reduce public-sector employment — a criticism that conflicts with some major GOP talking points.
* Demographics: While the Rust Belt states keep getting older and whiter, and losing population overall, Virginia’s population is growing, getting younger and more diverse…Minorities, particularly black voters, will turn out for Obama…
At Obama’s stops in the Tidewater cities of Virginia Beach and Hampton on Friday, the resilience and enthusiasm of his African-American base were evident.
Later, in Roanoke, Obama told the crowd, “If I win Virginia, I’m going to get four more years. That I can say with some confidence.” The good news for the president is that Virginia may be within his grasp.
Hopefully, the GOP’s vagina and uterus obsession with a desire to control women’s sexuality during the last session of the General Assembly will tip more women against Romney and the GOP in general. LGBT Virginians certainly have no reason to support Republicans for any reason given the anti-gay bigotry exhibited both during the General Assembly session and since then. Ditto for other minorities.
Michael Hamar is an out gay attorney in a committed relationship; formerly married and father of three wonderful children; sometime activist and political/news junkie; survived coming out in mid-life and hope to share my experiences and reflections with others. Follow him at Michael In Norfolk.
Issues Nationwide Injunction in Lawsuit Brought by Texas on Behalf of 13 StatesAugust 22, 2016
- On national TV Obama is asked and answers: ‘Why Is Which Bathroom a Person Uses Such an Issue?’, June 3, 2016
- Obama announces new national HIV/AIDS Strategy Through 2020 with live day-long webcast (watch now), July 30, 2015
- Interrupting Obama pays off: ICE issues new guidance on the care of transgender individuals in custody, June 29, 2015
- Prev Target Selling Same Sex Union Cards Nationwide
- Next Theater Review: “The Merry Wives of Windsor”
- Back to top
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it