VA State Bar Elects Gay-Friendly President
Virginia Beach attorney Kevin Martingayle has been voted the next president-elect of the Virginia State Bar in the first contested election in 11 years.
Martingayle, who will become the first Bar president from Virginia Beach, defeated Northern Virginia attorney Raymond Benzinger in voting among Bar members. The Bar governs 29,000 licensed attorneys.
A Richmond native, Martingayle received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1991. He is a founding partner in the Beach law firm Bischoff Martingayle. Martingayle will serve as president-elect for one year beginning at the Bar’s annual meeting in June, and he will then become Bar president the following year
Michael Hamar is an out gay attorney in a committed relationship; formerly married and father of three wonderful children; sometime activist and political/news junkie; survived coming out in mid-life and hope to share my experiences and reflections with others. Follow him at Michael In Norfolk.
Update: We’ve gotten some questions about this claim and thought we’d clarify. Searching “LGBTQ” on whitehouse.gov yields the message as seen in the top image. The fact checking site Snopes has said the clearing of the website was announced earlier this week and it was made clear the information and sites from Obama’s administration would be [...]January 20, 2017
- Prev Openly Gay Former Ala. Eagle Scout Charged With Murder
- Next “Dear Nick, I’m sorry. I miss you…” A Letter to My Former Self Post-Transition
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee