VA State Bar Elects Gay-Friendly President
Virginia Beach attorney Kevin Martingayle has been voted the next president-elect of the Virginia State Bar in the first contested election in 11 years.
Martingayle, who will become the first Bar president from Virginia Beach, defeated Northern Virginia attorney Raymond Benzinger in voting among Bar members. The Bar governs 29,000 licensed attorneys.
A Richmond native, Martingayle received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1991. He is a founding partner in the Beach law firm Bischoff Martingayle. Martingayle will serve as president-elect for one year beginning at the Bar’s annual meeting in June, and he will then become Bar president the following year
Michael Hamar is an out gay attorney in a committed relationship; formerly married and father of three wonderful children; sometime activist and political/news junkie; survived coming out in mid-life and hope to share my experiences and reflections with others. Follow him at Michael In Norfolk.
The discourse surrounding intersectionality has swelled from one lawyer and a TED Talk to incorporate entire books, journal articles and even Twitter trends. The idea of human complexity, compounding privilege or marginalization has been interpreted in public policy and art and now Richmond even offers intersectional mental health services. The Healing Journey, a support group [...]March 29, 2017
- Prev Openly Gay Former Ala. Eagle Scout Charged With Murder
- Next “Dear Nick, I’m sorry. I miss you…” A Letter to My Former Self Post-Transition
- Back to top
- HEAL LLC creates a ‘soft spot to land’ for LGBTQ women of color with ‘The Healing Journey’
- Pioneering Virginia-born LGBTQ activist and biologist Dr. Walter Sheppe has past away
- Fox & Friends mocks anti-bullying book after conservatives force schools to remove it
- Drag Queen Coco Peru on crafting a lasting character ahead of two SOLD OUT RTP shows
- Progressive ally Tom Perriello offers alternative in Virginia’s 2017 Gubernatorial primary