U of R Trustee Cracks Homophobic Joke in Exclusive Wall Street Party
The New York Times article details a number of extravagant happenings and goings on at the event, but an audio recording claims to capture some of the strong language used by Queally, including a ‘joke’ about openly gay and pro-regulation Congressman Barney Frank:
(Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Hillary Clinton and a catfish?” A: “One has whiskers and stinks, and the other is a fish”) to unfunny and homophobic (Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Barney Frank and a Fenway Frank?” A: “Barney Frank comes in different-size buns”).
Listen to the audio here:
The event also included new members being forced to dress in leotards, gold skirts and wigs to perform skits for the senior members of the group.
Queally, as recently as September 2013, donated $10 Million for the construction of a new finance and administration building at U of R. Queally’s name is also used in an annual student networking event called “Q-Camp” which gives future graduates the chance to network. The event was last held in January of last year.
U of R has been known for its push toward LGBTQ equality – including expanding its non-discrimination policy, as well as opening Common Ground, an LGBTQ safe space on campus. U of R is also set to hold a national Campus Pride event this spring to support openly LGBTQ athletes.
the following statement has been released by U of R:
Two former members of the University of Richmond women’s basketball team who say they faced harassment from coaches for their sexuality are now working to eliminate the barriers that LGBT people face in sports and elsewhere. Leah Johnson and Miah Register were profiled in an article posted Sunday night by Outsports, a blog of the [...]July 29, 2014
- How Meeting Judy Shepard Changed my Life, June 30, 2014
- Transgender Inmates Continue To Face Extraordinary Obstacles, June 26, 2014
- The Faces of Same-sex Marriage in VA: Meet Andrew and Jesse, April 30, 2014
- Prev VA Rep Goes Green With Shrek, The Musical
- Next Movie Reviews: Vampire Academy & The Lego Movie
- Back to top
- RVA Men’s Chorus holds open auditions this weekend
- Virginia lawyer under fire for company-wide email condemning ‘gay AIDS plague’
- Times-Dispatch highlights OutRVA campaign – Richmond’s push for LGBT tourism
- Movie Reviews: If I Stay & The November Man
- John Stewart lays into ESPN for Michael Sam shower story