U of R Trustee Cracks Homophobic Joke in Exclusive Wall Street Party
The New York Times article details a number of extravagant happenings and goings on at the event, but an audio recording claims to capture some of the strong language used by Queally, including a ‘joke’ about openly gay and pro-regulation Congressman Barney Frank:
(Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Hillary Clinton and a catfish?” A: “One has whiskers and stinks, and the other is a fish”) to unfunny and homophobic (Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Barney Frank and a Fenway Frank?” A: “Barney Frank comes in different-size buns”).
Listen to the audio here:
The event also included new members being forced to dress in leotards, gold skirts and wigs to perform skits for the senior members of the group.
Queally, as recently as September 2013, donated $10 Million for the construction of a new finance and administration building at U of R. Queally’s name is also used in an annual student networking event called “Q-Camp” which gives future graduates the chance to network. The event was last held in January of last year.
U of R has been known for its push toward LGBTQ equality – including expanding its non-discrimination policy, as well as opening Common Ground, an LGBTQ safe space on campus. U of R is also set to hold a national Campus Pride event this spring to support openly LGBTQ athletes.
the following statement has been released by U of R:
“I think the importance of the Q-Summit is to make sure that the youth know that their voices are being heard and that it give them a space where they’re comfortable.”March 25, 2015
- Registration now open for U of R’s Q-Summit, February 6, 2015
- Laverne Cox comes to U of R’s Modlin Center 9/29, tickets go on sale today!, September 22, 2014
- One VA college most “brave” in the South for support of LGBTQ students, September 16, 2014
- Prev VA Rep Goes Green With Shrek, The Musical
- Next Movie Reviews: Vampire Academy & The Lego Movie
- Back to top
- Openly gay football player Michael Sam signed to professional team in Canada
- The secret sexualities of artists and performers explored in ’20 Rue Jacob’ happening now
- Boy Scouts of America leader calls ban on gay leaders unsustainable
- Josh Duggar admits he molested five girls as as a teenager, resigns from anti‑gay Family Research Council
- NERVE: Stories Of Queer Resilience aims to inform from real accounts of anti-LGBTQ aggression