Petition to stop Bob Marshall’s Jim Crow-era LGBTQ bill hits 86K signatures
With less than 24 hours till the 2015 Virginia General Assembly opens, activists and citizens from around the world are uniting against a bill which would make discrimination against LGBTQ folks legal in the Commonwealth.
“Virginia’s proposed anti-gay law could mean that denying service to lesbian, gay, and bi people is perfectly legal. Doctors, teachers, and so many others could refuse to treat and teach people just because of who they love,” reads the petition’s message to House members. “Please vote ‘no’ on this bill. Throw it out to send a strong message that your state stands up for equality.”
The bill in question, HB1414, authored by Del. Bob Marshall (R-Manassas), states a person would not be required to “perform, assist, consent to, or participate in any action” as a condition of “obtaining or renewing a government-issued license, registration, or certificate” if such actions would “violate the religious or moral convictions of such person.”
Marshall goes on to clarify the bill by specifying those religious convictions with “respect to same-sex marriage or homosexual behavior.”
Del. Marshall, author of VA’s ban on same-sex marriage and a vocal opponent 0f LGBTQ issues, submitted the bill for the upcoming General Assembly session earlier this year.
While Marshall did not return requests for comment by GayRVA, VA ACLU Executive Director Claire Guthrie Gastañaga described the bill as “Jim Crow” laws for LGBTQ Virginians.
“It’s licensing it [discrimination], authorizing it, and saying it’s okay,” said Gastañaga. “It’s like Jim Crow. It’s like a state law that says it’s okay to discriminate against black people and have two different kinds of water fountains.”
The petition, which has over 86K signatures by press time, was started on AllOut.org, an international, online LGBTQ equality advocacy group which aims to By mobilize “millions of people around the world in partnership with grassroots leaders, [and] hopes to achieve in 10 years what may have taken 50.”
Marshall’s long history bulking the trend of LGBTQ equality is easy to track. He tried to allow the House to acquire lawyers to defend the state’s same-sex marriage ban after AG Mark Herring refused to do so. He failed to have Herring impeached for not fighting the ban.
Last General Assembly, Marshall proposed laws which would deny tax benefits to same-sex couples. He also claimed being gay will remove 20 years off your life.
“Sex change surgery usually does not eliminate depression and other mental health problems in those with gender dysphoria.”May 2, 2017
- National LGBTQ campaign group backs transgender candidate in race against author of Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban, April 24, 2017
- Danica Roem wants to beat Bob Marshall, be first transgender woman in Virginia General Assembly, January 25, 2017
- House Subcommittee kills anti-transgender bills and bill to protect Virginia’s LGBTQs, passes “religious freedom” bill, January 23, 2017
- Prev McAuliffe opens 2015 session with pleas for reduced abortion regulations, equal pay for women, and LGBTQ inclusiveness
- Next Help Amy & Katy be the first same-sex couple to win CBS 6′s wedding giveaway
- Back to top
- GOP Gubernatorial frontrunner endorsed by radical VA beach Christian leader and failed Lt. Gov candidate
- RVA salons cut gender out of pricing
- RTP Audition Notice: ‘The View UpStairs’ on stage August-September
- Ahead of return to Fourth Circuit, Virginia teen sees massive legal support for fight against anti-trans bathroom laws
- Support for same-sex has doubled since Gallop first asked 21 years ago