Obama to Leno: “I have no patience for countries that treat gays and lesbians or transgender persons in ways that intimidate them, or are harmful to them.”
President Obama made an appearance on Late Night with Jay Leno last night, and the topic of Russia’s treatment of LGBT people was brought up (Kudos to Leno for asking about it!) here’s a transcript from the conversation:
Obama: “I’ve been very clear that, when it comes to universal rights, people’s basic liberties, whether you are discriminating on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, you are violating the basic morality that i think should transcend every country. I have no patience for countries that try and treat gays and lesbians or transgender persons, in ways that intimidate them, or are harmful to them.
Whats happening in Russia is not unique, when I was traveling in Africa, there were some countries that are doing a lot of good things for their people, who we are working with and helping on development issues. But in some cases, have persecuted gays and lesbians… one of the things I think its very important for me to speak out on is making sure that people are treated fairly and justly because that’s what we stand for…. and that’s something that should apply everywhere.
Leno: Do you think that should apply for the Olympics?
Obama: “I think Putin and Russia have a big stake in making sure the Olympics work, and i think they understand that for most of the countries that compete in the Olympics, we wouldn’t tolerate gays and lesbians being treated differently… if Russia wants to uphold the Olympic spirit, every judgement should be made on the track or in the swimming pool, and people’s sexual orientation shouldn’t have anything to do with it.
I think the most impressive part of Obama’s comments was his inclusion of transgender people. Now he may be sliding on some other issues (personal privacy, deadlocked House, over-seas wars, no federal action on ENDA) but I still get pretty amazed every time I hear the ol’ commander and chief even use the word ‘transgender.’
Watch the video from the interview below.
Issues Nationwide Injunction in Lawsuit Brought by Texas on Behalf of 13 StatesAugust 22, 2016
- On national TV Obama is asked and answers: ‘Why Is Which Bathroom a Person Uses Such an Issue?’, June 3, 2016
- Obama announces new national HIV/AIDS Strategy Through 2020 with live day-long webcast (watch now), July 30, 2015
- Being gay in Russia is about as terrible as you’ve read [video], July 13, 2015
- Prev She Pride 2013 Gave Lesbians From Around the Country a Chance to Get Down (Photos)
- Next GayRVA’s Best of Richmond Is Almost Done, But You’ve Still Got Time to Vote!
- Back to top
- Theatre VCU’s ‘A Trip to Bountiful’ is a bounty of delights
- Hillary Campaign brings actor Blake Cooper Griffin to VA Pride
- AG Herring and VA’s marriage equality plaintiffs open Hillary Campaign office in Southside
- The Valentine’s Lesbian and Gay bus tour returns just in time to coincide with Pride
- Boys Noize drops new Snowden-themed video on 4Chan ahead of DC show