N.M. state lawmaker compares gays to ‘whores,’ suggests they marry women
A New Mexico state lawmaker has come under fire from LGBT advocates for a recent blog post in which he cmpared gays as “whores” and suggested they should find local women to marry.
State Sen. Bill Sharer (R-Farmington, N.M.), a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage equality, claimed there is “overwhelming evidence that the unit of ‘mom, dad and children’ has been encouraged from the earliest pre-written record.”
In the post, Sharer wrote that marriage is “the oldest concept in human history,” in which he explained Alexander the Great’s “view of marriage”:
Alexander the Great (356-323 BC) married a Bactrian woman – modern day Afghanistan. Alexander may have engaged in homosexual activity, but he married a woman.
He directed his officers to stop “whoring” around and find a local woman to marry.
“It is only through blood relations that hatred and war will end”. In other words, Alexander the Great thought that marriage was about creating and raising the next generation.
This is the reason for Marriage.
Sharer is part of a group of Republican legislators threatening to file a lawsuit to stop clerks from issuing licenses to same-sex couples.
Paul Becht, the Albuquerque lawyer for the GOP legislators, said it’s uncertain when and where their lawsuit will be filed. With more counties starting to issue licenses, Becht said, he’s trying to determine where best to file a lawsuit “so we’re not getting scattered results all over the place.”
The advocacy group ProgressNow New Mexico is calling for an apology from Sharer.
“The threat to Senator Sharer and the Republican Party in New Mexico doesn’t come from loving couples entering into committed relationships, it comes from their own failure to recognize the progress our country is making towards realizing the dream of freedom and equality for all,” said Patrick Davis, executive director of ProgressNow New Mexico.“That’s not the gay agenda or the Hispanic agenda, it’s the American dream. They are no longer on the wrong side of history, they are on the wrong side of now,” said Davis.
Questions over the legality of same-sex marriage in New Mexico have been simmering for years because state law doesn’t explicitly authorize or prohibit it.
Openly gay legislators rally to remove defunct same-sex marriage bans from Virginia law and constitution
“There are a number of Republicans, even those are against LGBT equality, who do accept that fact that the Virginia state code books should say what is the law and not what isn’t the law…”October 19, 2016
- New Study: large majority of Americans support LGBTQ nondiscrimination laws, oppose ‘bathroom bills’, August 26, 2016
- HRC goes on the offensive against Alabama judge who defied SCOTUS marriage ruling #NoMoore, August 4, 2016
- Joe Biden officiates wedding of two male White House staffers, August 2, 2016
- Prev IRS Clarifies Tax Benefits for Same-Sex Couples
- Next San Antonio WNBA player Sophia Young speaks out against same-sex marriage
- Back to top
- Lambda Legal urges Pennsylvania District Court to suspend Pittsburgh school’s restroom policy
- World AIDS Day event gives Richmonders a chance to remember and share
- Diversity Richmond distributes $30K in grant funding to local LGBTQ groups
- Man fired for having HIV files lawsuit agianst Texas nursing home
- World AIDS Day aims to shine light on often ignored RVA crisis