LGBT Democrats of Virginia to celebrate progress towards marriage equality at Second Annual Equality Breakfast
Just got this in our inbox and wanted to get it out there – join the LGBT Democrats of VA in honoring our strides toward same-sex marriage in the commonwealth next Saturday.
LGBT Democrats of Virginia will host their Second Annual Equality Breakfast on Saturday, September 6th, from 8:00 am to 9:30 am, at the Hospitality House Hotel and Conference Center, 2801 Plank Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia. This event immediately precedes the meeting of the Central Committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia.
This year, LGBT Democrats of Virginia will recognize Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring, who will be receiving the Mark R. Warner Political Leadership Award, for his efforts to legally secure marriage equality in the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the nation. In his statement regarding the reversal of the state’s position, Attorney General Herring stated, “…we have a chance to get it right, and to help extend to all Americans the right to marry the person they love.” After the Appeals Court upheld the Fourth Circuit of Appeals decision, Herring stated, “. . . inevitably no effort to restrict the rights or limit the opportunities of our fellow Americans has ever succeeded in the long term.”
Also being recognized are four couples; Christy Berghoff-Kidd and Victoria Kidd, Jessica Duff and Joanne Harris, Timothy Bostic and Tony London, and Carol Schall and Mary Townley; whose cases seeking marriageequality were heard by Fourth Circuit Court, which determined that the Virginia constitutional amendment restricting marriage to one man and one woman was unconstitutional. Despite the fact that there has been a stay been put in place by the United States Supreme Court, this ruling has been a huge victory in Virginia that may well lead to Marriage Equality coming to Virginia, and the nation, soon. These couples will receive the Democratic Community Action for Equality Award for their courage in standing up for the rights of LGBT couples in Virginia.
Gaye Adegbalola will be the Mistress of Ceremonies for the event, and all Congressional candidates, Senator Mark Warner, and Mayor Dwight Jones, Chairman of the Democratic Party of Virginia, have been invited to attend.
BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
BREAKING: A bill aiming to protect religious organizations when they deny services related to a same-sex wedding was passed by a voice in a House subcommittee today. Submitted by Delegate Nicholas J. Freitas (top image right, R-30, Culpepper) proposed to shield any person from punishment from the state, civil or otherwise, if they deny services [...]January 19, 2017
- We were wrong… Del Bob Marshall actually has FOUR anti-LGBTQ bills this session, January 17, 2017
- First same-sex marriage related bill dies in VA Senate committee (expectedly), January 16, 2017
- AG Herring, legislators and advocates unite to pass inclusive hate crime legislation in Virginia, January 13, 2017
- Prev Watch all of “My Own Private Idaho” on youtube
- Next R.A.I.N. Presents: Stay The Night w/ DSTRYD
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee