LGBT Democrats of Virginia to celebrate progress towards marriage equality at Second Annual Equality Breakfast
Just got this in our inbox and wanted to get it out there – join the LGBT Democrats of VA in honoring our strides toward same-sex marriage in the commonwealth next Saturday.
LGBT Democrats of Virginia will host their Second Annual Equality Breakfast on Saturday, September 6th, from 8:00 am to 9:30 am, at the Hospitality House Hotel and Conference Center, 2801 Plank Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia. This event immediately precedes the meeting of the Central Committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia.
This year, LGBT Democrats of Virginia will recognize Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring, who will be receiving the Mark R. Warner Political Leadership Award, for his efforts to legally secure marriage equality in the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the nation. In his statement regarding the reversal of the state’s position, Attorney General Herring stated, “…we have a chance to get it right, and to help extend to all Americans the right to marry the person they love.” After the Appeals Court upheld the Fourth Circuit of Appeals decision, Herring stated, “. . . inevitably no effort to restrict the rights or limit the opportunities of our fellow Americans has ever succeeded in the long term.”
Also being recognized are four couples; Christy Berghoff-Kidd and Victoria Kidd, Jessica Duff and Joanne Harris, Timothy Bostic and Tony London, and Carol Schall and Mary Townley; whose cases seeking marriageequality were heard by Fourth Circuit Court, which determined that the Virginia constitutional amendment restricting marriage to one man and one woman was unconstitutional. Despite the fact that there has been a stay been put in place by the United States Supreme Court, this ruling has been a huge victory in Virginia that may well lead to Marriage Equality coming to Virginia, and the nation, soon. These couples will receive the Democratic Community Action for Equality Award for their courage in standing up for the rights of LGBT couples in Virginia.
Gaye Adegbalola will be the Mistress of Ceremonies for the event, and all Congressional candidates, Senator Mark Warner, and Mayor Dwight Jones, Chairman of the Democratic Party of Virginia, have been invited to attend.
“We hit it off really good and six months later he moved in. We respected each other, we did everything together.”May 2, 2017
- Virginia State Supreme Court upholds protections for LGBTQ students, April 13, 2017
- Washington State Supreme Court sides with same-sex couple who was refused service by Christian florist, February 17, 2017
- Even religious Americans support same-sex marriage, dislike “religious freedom” laws, February 8, 2017
- Prev Watch all of “My Own Private Idaho” on youtube
- Next R.A.I.N. Presents: Stay The Night w/ DSTRYD
- Back to top
- RVA salons cut gender out of pricing
- RTP Audition Notice: ‘The View UpStairs’ on stage August-September
- Ahead of return to Fourth Circuit, Virginia teen sees massive legal support for fight against anti-trans bathroom laws
- Support for same-sex has doubled since Gallop first asked 21 years ago
- Side by Side offers alternative prom for Central VA’s LGBTQ youth