Laverne Cox makes PEOPLE magazine ‘most beautiful’ list
Transgender actress and activist Laverne Cox has been named to PEOPLE magazine’s “World’s Most Beautiful 2015″ list:
The actress has left a big impression on Hollywood (and America) in a very short amount of time. Cox’s skillful performance as Sophia on “Orange Is the New Black” and her work advocating for transgender women make her one of our boldest beauties yet.
The goal for me as an actor is to play interesting, complicated human beings, human beings who are fun, and challenging, that is my goal as an artist. I think the interesting thing is that there are so many transgender stories that have yet to be told and I am personally committed to doing what I can to help tell those stories. I want to be challenged as an artist, I don’t want to be limited as an artist, so my goal is to just work on many projects.
I think part of it too, is that it shouldn’t even matter. I’ve said this for years, with a show like Grey’s Anatomy, there can be trans characters that is a nurse or a doctor on Grey’s Anatomy as a recurring character. Trans people can be a part of the story line or they don’t have to be part of the story line, It can be this other thing, where not all trans characters have to be represented in the issue. There can be trans characters, but it doesn’t have to be a big issue. It can just be a woman among the other cast members.
There are trans folks who have jobs and people may know they’re trans, but it doesn’t come up on the job.
You can read the rest of the People list here, and check out a clip for season three of OITNB here, or when it premieres in June.
A 2005 graduate of Monacan High School in Chesterfield County and now a retired army Sergeant, Shane Ortega is one of 11 transgender individuals to be featured in the new HBO documentary, “The Trans List.” Directed by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, the documentary premiered on Monday and explores the experiences and lives of 11 transgender Americans. The 11 [...]December 6, 2016
- Prev New poll shows record high 61 percent of Americans support marriage equality
- Next Join Fifth Wall Theatre as they announce their new season next Tuesday, 4/28
- Back to top
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it
- Bullied teen’s attempted suicide spurred canceled GSA event at VA Beach high school