KEIGWIN + COMPANY Asks Richmond to #Sharethemattress
photo by Christopher Duggan
NYC’s KEIGWIN + COMPANY is making their way to the Modlin Center for the Arts later this week, and this unique, edgy, and creative dance group is sure to make impacts here in the River City.
“We’re very collaborative. I’m constantly pulling dance vocabulary and ideas from the dancers,” said Larry Keigwin, Artistic Director and Founder of KEIGWIN + COMPANY, on how he keeps his company fresh after 10 years. It’s no easy feat to keep audiences and critics entranced, but Keigwin said it’s his willingness to collaborate that has kept him and his company in the spot light. “I think the fact that I don’t just rely on myself for creativity help keeps it fresh. And so much in our regular lives has change in 10 years – so by circumstance, as the world has changed, the dance has changed… its natural evolution.”
Keigwin’s ability to ‘think out side the box’ as it were has spawned numerous successful projects, including their most recent “#Sharethemattress” work.
Based on one of his first pieces, Mattress Suite, Keigwin is asking dancers form around the world to help take part and #sharethemattress by creating their own dance video based on his original mattress vision.
“We kicked it off with a total of 10 videos that we’ll be releasing…” said Keigwin. “Hopefully, people will be inspired to create their own”
The concept is simple: record a video of you and/or your friends dancing on your mattress – “It can be 7 seconds, it could be 7 minutes – its being creative and doing something on your mattress.”
This #Sharethemattress project also helps KEIGWIN + CO fulfil its mission to reach new dancer audiences. “if we’re trying to engage new audiences, we have to look outside the theater, and the possibilities online are endless,” said Keigwin who believes dance translates well on video, and the dancers themselves can make great ambassadors. “It feels like a good fit to get them online and keep them sharing.”
Fresh from a stint at the Vale International Dance Festival in August, Keigwin had the amazing chance to work with even more collaborators, including creating a work with six of his dancers and four NYC Ballet dancers. “It was a little bit of mixing modern dancers and classical dancers… it was a really inspirational and creative opportunity… having my dancers create with the principal dancers was really great.”
For their Richmond performance, KEIGWIN + CO has a retrospective program spanning the best of from the last 10 years, highlighting the variety of the company.
The show will opening with the famous Mattress Suite alongside several other amazing and unique works created by K+C.
Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
The Modlin Center for the Arts presented New York based contemporary dance company Keigwin + Company this past Thursday and Friday. Larry Keigwin, the company’s artistic director, selected four unique pieces to share with his Richmond audience. The show began with one of Keigwin’s most famous works, Mattress Suite. Broken into six sections this piece [...]October 7, 2013
- Ballet Review: Russian National Ballet’s “The Sleeping Beauty”, March 18, 2013
- Theatre Review: ZHE [noun] undefined, January 15, 2013
- New Film Series Brings Filmmakers To RVA, August 22, 2012
- Prev House Of Versace – Lifetime’s New Biopic Paints The Story of a Fashion Icon
- Next “The Time Is Now” Jason And deMarco’s Message Of The Transcendence Of Love Comes To Richmond Tomorrow
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee