I am sick and tired of people using their religious beliefs as a way to justify hate and prejudice
People are so quick to use religion and the bible to condemn homosexuality and be prejudice towards others.
I grew up in a Christian household and went to a private Christian school up until 6th grade.
I came out earlier this year (thanks to my amazing boyfriend) and my family has all accepted me for who I am (except for one aunt I have that is incredibly catholic, she says that god will judge me).
I know a lot of people out there fear the repercussions of being gay within a religious community. If people are going to use the bible to justify their hate and homophobia, then they need to be informed of 32 other things that the bible condemns.
- Committing adultery between a man and a woman (Leviticus 20:10-12, Deuteronomy 22:22).
- Lying about virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21).
- Being one of the majority of women that don’t bleed when losing your virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
- Being the daughter of a priest and practicing prostitution (Leviticus 21:9).
- Raping an engaged female virgin (Deuteronomy 22:25).
- If an engaged female virgin, being raped in a city (Deuteronomy 22:23-27).
- Being male and practicing bestiality (Leviticus 20:15).
- Being female and practicing bestiality (Leviticus 20:16).
- Having sex with your father’s wife (Leviticus 20:20).
- Having sex with your daughter-in-law (Leviticus 20:30).
- Having incestual sex (Leviticus 20:17).
- Marrying a woman and her daughter (Leviticus 20:14).
- Having sex with a woman who is menstruating (Leviticus 20:18).
- Eating any meat not killed according to the Kosher practice (Deuteronomy 12:21).
- Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales (Deuteronomy 14:9-10).
- Eating pork and touching the skin of a pig (Leviticus 11:7-8).
- Eating fat (Leviticus 3:17).
- Eating anything that mixes meat and dairy (Exodus 23:19).
- Being a male who is not circumcised (Genesis 17:14).
- Ignoring the judgement of a judge or a priest (Deuteronomy 17:8-13).
- Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth (Leviticus 19:19).
- Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard (Leviticus 19:27).
- Touching the dead carcass of a pig (Deuteronomy 14:8).
- Dressing across gender lines (Deuteronomy 22:5).
- Women Speaking in church (1 Corinthians 14:34-35).
- Women should dress modestly (1 Timothy 2:9).
- No masturbating (1 Corinthians 6:18).
- No watching porn or looking at a women lustfully (Matthew 5:28).
- No tattoos (Leviticus 19:28).
- No divorces (1 Corinthians 7:10-11).
- You cannot get remarried after getting a divorce (Mark 10:11-12).
- No pigging out on food (Proverbs 23:2).
The point I am making is time after time people have used the bible to condemn others, and they pick and choose what applies to them and what does not. If they choose to use the bible to justify their homophobia and hate, and they fail to abide by the rules described within the text, then they are hypocrites.
The bible also talks about loving your neighbor as yourself and treating them the way you want to be treated. The bible preaches love and acceptance and tolerance and patience and yet people are so quick to turn to hate.
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Matthew 7: 1-2).
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 7:12).
I may not be a religious man, but I know that people from all walks of life, regardless of their gender identity, religious background, sexual preference, race, age, all deserve to be treated with respect and to be treated kindly. No one should be afraid to be who they are, and no one should condemn others because they are different.
This post was written by reddit user TKay1493 and rerun with permission
“If you’re faith-based, it’s within your right to select the adult leaders who are going to uphold the tenets of your faith.”July 25, 2016
- Intersection of faith and gender Identity in the American Heartland, December 4, 2015
- New powerful BET documentary examines LGBTQ life inside the Black Church, November 11, 2015
- Prev New study finds link between homophobia and psychosis
- Next Virginia Pride 2015 in photos
- Back to top
- Theatre VCU’s ‘A Trip to Bountiful’ is a bounty of delights
- Hillary Campaign brings actor Blake Cooper Griffin to VA Pride
- AG Herring and VA’s marriage equality plaintiffs open Hillary Campaign office in Southside
- The Valentine’s Lesbian and Gay bus tour returns just in time to coincide with Pride
- Boys Noize drops new Snowden-themed video on 4Chan ahead of DC show