GayRVA & DC Non-Profits Honored With Awards at Annual Brother Help Thyself Event
Over the past weekend, Brother Help Thyself, a DC area fundraising group responsible for the Gay Days event at Kings Dominion, gave GayRVA and a number of DC area non-profit groups awards for their contributions to the LGBTQ community.
Just over $75,000 was distributed over the three-hour ceremony held at DC’s Ziegfeld’s/Secrets. Winners included everything from HIV/AIDs support groups to Transgender treatment facilities, to non-violence and safe-sex community groups.
“It’s so rewarding to see the fellowship of everyone gathered at our grant reception,” said Brother Help Thy Self’s Executive Director Jim Slattery. “Everyone is just so happy for those receiving grant awards. As BHT moves into our 35th year, we’re so proud and grateful of the support received from a generous and caring community from Baltimore and points north and west, to DC and all points in between. “
GayRVA received the George Dodson Business Award at the event. Past winners included Metro Weekly, an LGBTQ focused publication in Washington D.C.. Slattery said GayRVA’s work supporting BTH’s Kings Dominion event, one of their core fund-raising events, was what lead them to earning the reward, saying this year was the most successful KD Gay Days event they’ve had to date.
George Dodson was a gay-business pioneer in DC. He was owner of the very first gay bar on the legendary P-Street strip in DC’s Dupont Circle neighborhood. Mr. P’s at 2147 P Street NW opened in March of 1976 and hosted Centaurs MC (motorcycle club). He also owned the Charles Dickens Room, a gay supper club in DC’s American University neighborhood in 1973.
“It’s an incredible honor to be recognized for the work that you do, especially when a group that’s doing so much good presents the award,” said GayRVA’s editor Brad Kutner. “We look forward to offering support to future BHT events and other LGBTQ events here in RVA.”
Gay RVA didn’t receive any of the grant money , though it is available to non-profits helping the LGBTQ community. The deadline to apply for grants is in August, if you’d like to learn more check out details at Brother Help Thyself’s website.
The folks at Brother Help Thyself, a DC-based HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ support group are looking for a few good folks to fund. The group, which honored GayRVA with a business award back in 2014, organizes King’s Dominion’s annual Gay Days event every September at the park just north of RVA. Check out details for the grant [...]July 7, 2016
- Kings Dominion’s PRIDE Day 2014 Happens 9/20, June 30, 2014
- Kings Dominion’s LGBT Night (Thanks to Brother Help Thyself) Was a Blast (Photos), September 16, 2013
- Kings Dominion’s LGBTQ Night Is Tomorrow Night! (Link to purchase tickets in post), September 13, 2013
- Prev Style Weekly Publishes Long Form Profile of RVA’s LGBTQ Community
- Next EV’s Day of Action Gives Voice to VA’s LGBTQ Constituents
- Back to top
- ‘Perfect Arrangement’ at RTP dramatizes the 1950s lavender scare with important results
- VCU LGBTQ History Month: Panel to speak on VCU’s famed 1974 Gay Alliance of Students lawsuit
- ‘ISIS: A Love Story’ turns the worlds most nefarious terrorist organization into a queer Romeo & Juliet
- HRC and national pediatric organizations team up for new guide on raising transgender kids
- Live performance of ‘Phantom’ at the Byrd Theatre aims to highlight the famed movie palace’s original elegance