GAYRVA and RVAMag seek Summer 2016 interns
The weather may not be our friend right now, but it will soon be summer and the editors of RVAMag and GayRVA.com need interns!
We’re looking to fill about eight slots for people who are passionate, creative, hard-working, and willing to learn and better themselves under the guidance of two professional media outlets here in Richmond.
Ideal candidates will:
Attend college and be in need of 2-3 credits through their scholastic program
Have 2-3 days availability during the week, with the freedom to attend events in the evening
Have a laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder, and/or smart phone
Be willing to work hard
Understand the responsibilities involved when committing to a project
Have experience writing non-fiction
Have an open mind, with the willingness to cover issues and topics that might be all together new to you
Attending a college program is not required, but those not in a program should be able to show a history of successful writing or commitment to a long-term project.
What you will be doing:
1. Writing – a lot of writing. You will be responsible for some of the more regular weekly content (event previews, album reviews, business listing updates, etc)
2. Interviewing – you will be speaking to LOTS of different people. The voices of the community help define a publication, and you will be seeking out those voices.
3. Pitching and developing long-form stories – we want to help you get published, we want to see you succeed. We’ll help you get there.
What you will get out of it:
An understanding of the daily operations of an independent publication in a medium market town
the independence to cover stories and issues which interest you
Lots and lots of clips
Long form and short form writing experience
Multi-media web-based project experience
Access to shows, parties, and events
What we need from you:
Availability from May 16th-Aug. 12th
Cover letter detailing why we should bring you on board
One short writing sample
Please send an email to email@example.com and put “Internship Submission” as the subject line. Deadline for submission is April 22nd.
WE ARE ALWAYS SEEKING TO DIVERSIFY OUR NEWS ROOM! LGBTQ and minority students are very much encouraged to apply. Help us better resemble the city we work in!
Calling all thirsty craft beer drinkers, next week you will have the chance to raise a glass for a good cause. Strangeways Brewing is hosting its monthly Cheers 4 Charity event, and this time, proceeds will benefit Diversity Richmond. The brewery will donate 10 percent of all sales to the local non-profit organization, which provides programs and [...]January 17, 2017
- RTP & TheatreLAB partner with Virginia Anti-Violence Project to revive ‘NERVE: Stories of Queer Resilience’, January 11, 2017
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims, December 7, 2016
- Monacan grad among 11 transgender individuals profiled in HBO doc, ‘The Trans List’, December 6, 2016
- Prev ‘Book of Mormon,’ ‘Kinky Boots’ lead 2016-17 Broadway in Richmond lineup
- Next VCU investigates the history of the HIV/AIDS crisis with a Staged Reading Series
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee