GAYRVA and RVAMag seek Summer 2016 interns
The weather may not be our friend right now, but it will soon be summer and the editors of RVAMag and GayRVA.com need interns!
We’re looking to fill about eight slots for people who are passionate, creative, hard-working, and willing to learn and better themselves under the guidance of two professional media outlets here in Richmond.
Ideal candidates will:
Attend college and be in need of 2-3 credits through their scholastic program
Have 2-3 days availability during the week, with the freedom to attend events in the evening
Have a laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder, and/or smart phone
Be willing to work hard
Understand the responsibilities involved when committing to a project
Have experience writing non-fiction
Have an open mind, with the willingness to cover issues and topics that might be all together new to you
Attending a college program is not required, but those not in a program should be able to show a history of successful writing or commitment to a long-term project.
What you will be doing:
1. Writing – a lot of writing. You will be responsible for some of the more regular weekly content (event previews, album reviews, business listing updates, etc)
2. Interviewing – you will be speaking to LOTS of different people. The voices of the community help define a publication, and you will be seeking out those voices.
3. Pitching and developing long-form stories – we want to help you get published, we want to see you succeed. We’ll help you get there.
What you will get out of it:
An understanding of the daily operations of an independent publication in a medium market town
the independence to cover stories and issues which interest you
Lots and lots of clips
Long form and short form writing experience
Multi-media web-based project experience
Access to shows, parties, and events
What we need from you:
Availability from May 16th-Aug. 12th
Cover letter detailing why we should bring you on board
One short writing sample
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Internship Submission” as the subject line. Deadline for submission is April 22nd.
WE ARE ALWAYS SEEKING TO DIVERSIFY OUR NEWS ROOM! LGBTQ and minority students are very much encouraged to apply. Help us better resemble the city we work in!
To honor and remember the 49 individuals who lost their lives in the June mass shooting at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Fla., Orlando City Soccer Club has dedicated a rainbow-colored section of seats in its stadium that’s currently under construction. Philip Rawlins, founder and president of the professional soccer club, tweeted out a picture of [...]December 7, 2016
- Prev ‘Book of Mormon,’ ‘Kinky Boots’ lead 2016-17 Broadway in Richmond lineup
- Next VCU investigates the history of the HIV/AIDS crisis with a Staged Reading Series
- Back to top
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it
- Bullied teen’s attempted suicide spurred canceled GSA event at VA Beach high school