Gay Community Center Needs Volunteers
The Gay Community Center is currently seeking volunteers to help with bingo, one of their biggest fundraisers. President Jay Squires needs your help:
In the past 18 months, we’ve accomplished so much to build a vital resource for our community. Our facility is used by dozens of groups each year to host the important work they do supporting, educating and enriching Richmond’s LGBT people. Our own in-house programming includes a popular art gallery and a growing list of educational programs serving our diverse interests and needs.
The GCCR is funded in large part by our bingo games. We are critically short of committed volunteers who are willing to give us only five hours per month to help us run this vital revenue program.
Here is what bingo accomplishes – and what would be missing if it isn’t successful.
* Without bingo, the Richmond Triangle Players would not have had a venue to stage Bite Me and Pulp.
* Without bingo, the Prime Timers Central Virginia would not have had a place for their Annual Meeting.
* Without bingo, the Metropolitan Community Church of Richmond would not have had a place for their 30th Anniversary Celebration.
* Without bingo, GCCR could not have developed Richmond’s first successful art gallery dedicated to featuring LGBT artists.
* Without bingo, the 2008 Virginia Pride Festival would not have entertained 4,000 and this year’s festival would have no home.
* Without bingo, the twenty members of the Central Virginia Rainbow Partnership, including ROSMY, Equality Virginia, PFLAG, GLSEN and many more would not have the use of GayRichmond.com to feature the great work they accomplish.
Like most non-profits, these tough economic times have strained our resources. But we’re as committed as ever to growing and improving the programs, services and collaborative efforts that have made GCCR the hub for Richmond’s LGBT community. Now, we need your help, because you believe what we do is worthwhile, and because you want to see GCCR and our community prosper.
All we need is a commitment of five hours per month, one day a month, on a Tuesday morning, Tuesday evening or Thursday evening. Please help us by making this small, but vital commitment. Together we can continue to build an organization that accomplishes so much more.
Please agree to help, and drop me a note to email@example.com. By return e-mail, I’ll tell you about how easy it is to volunteer and what we’ll do to make sure your work with us is fun and productive. Thanks for your time and for your willingness to help Richmond’s LGBT community grow.
Gay Community Center of Richmond is located at 1407 Sherwood Avenue, Richmond, VA 23330. (804) 622-4242. www.gayrichmond.com
I want people to leave with knowledge of what their community center does,”March 31, 2015
- Learn more about how same-sex spouses and LT partners can benefit from SS Administration changes, March 19, 2015
- Regional police leaders gather to discuss how LGBTQs interact with law enforcement, February 6, 2015
- Join Central VA Police Departments for a community conversation at the GCCR this Sunday afternoon, January 14, 2015
- Prev O’Reilly Wants To Marry Lenny…and Squiggy
- Next Capital One & ROSMY Announce LGBTQ Youth Essay Contest
- Back to top
- CPAC rescinds invite to right wing “provocateur”/Nazi Milo Yiannopoulos for video ‘condoning pedophilia’
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Chevelle Moss-Savage
- TheatreLAB opens ‘The Cellar Series’ tonight with staged reading of Eve Ensler’s ‘the Good Body’
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Zakia McKensey
- Richmond-area freshmen Congressman Don McEachin joins House LGBT Equality Caucus