French anti-gay activist suggests violence in reaction to marriage bill
Frigide Barjot (Translation: “All born from a man and a woman.”
French comic Frigide Barjot, leader of the Manif pour tous (Demo for all), France’s mainstream anti-gay marriage movement, reacted angrily on Friday after the French government announced it would bring forward to next Wednesday the National Assembly’s final hearing on a bill which would legalize gay marriage in France, reportedThe Local.
“This is a disgrace. The French people don’t want this law, and what do they do? They speed up its passage. (French President Francois) Hollande wants blood, and he will get it,” Barjot was quoted as saying by France’s TF1, adding “We live in a dictatorship. The President of the Republic has guillotined us.”
Centre-right UMP deputy Christian Jacob joined the fray, saying in a statement that by accelerating the bill’s now almost certain passage into law, “the President of the Republic is risking a violent confrontation with the French people.”
Fellow UMP deputy Hervé Mariton denounced the move as “an incitement to civil war.”Earlier in the week, Barjot insisted the anti-gay marriage movement is opposed to violence.
Earlier in the week, gay rights activists pointed to last weekend’s attack on a gay couple in Paris as evidence of their claim that homophobic acts have tripled nationwide over opposition to the marriage equality law.
Wilfred De Bruijn was beaten unconscious near his home early Sunday in central Paris, sustaining five fractures in his head and face, abrasions and a lost tooth.
Barjot has previously insisted the anti-gay marriage movement is opposed to violence.
President Francois Hollande made legalizing same-sex marriage one of the planks in his 60-point program on the way to winning the presidency last May over conservative incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy.
These photos have been making the rounds on the internet for a few weeks, so we thought we’d dig up the source. Turns out, the original photos of trans working girls in Paris’s red-light district in the 60′s were on display at NYC’s International Center for Photography. The photos are the work of Swedish photographer [...]July 29, 2013
- Wash. man Uses SCRUFF and Growlr in spree of violent attacks on gay men, April 26, 2013
- Anti-Gay Marriage Protests in France Get Violent (Video), April 24, 2013
- France Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage, April 23, 2013
- Prev Daughter of man arrested at husband’s bedside: Hospital statement is ‘absolute and utter bullshit’
- Next Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers: ‘Football hid my secret’
- Back to top
- Gov. McAuliffe drops video promoting Commonwealths LGBT Tourism Campaign #LoveVA
- Theatre VCU’s ‘A Trip to Bountiful’ is a bounty of delights
- Hillary Campaign brings actor Blake Cooper Griffin to VA Pride
- AG Herring and VA’s marriage equality plaintiffs open Hillary Campaign office in Southside
- The Valentine’s Lesbian and Gay bus tour returns just in time to coincide with Pride