Christian activists harass Target stores nationwide over bathroom policy
Alright, we get it. Some people are just crazy and giving them more of a spotlight doesn’t help. But you can’t help but wonder what’s going through someone’s mind when they walk into a busy Target department store and start harassing someone making <15$ about a policy that has little effect on them as an individual.
But hey, I’m not a Christian activist with too much time on my hands… like Dylan R. Harrington, a youtuber and Columbus, OH resident who was so taken back by Target’s trans-inclusive bathroom policy he made a point to ruin a local store’s manager’s day… and he caught it all on tape:
“I have concerns about bringing my sisters here… I’m afraid when I bring my sisters here something might happen…” he prods, pointing to his clothes and beard. “So I could walk in [to the women's restroom] as is, wearing what I’m wearing.”
He then goes on to proclaim his ownership of male genitalia and further pestering the manager who respectfully tries to avoid saying much of anything.
“For people like me, I might not come back,” Harrington says before talking about how much he loves the popcorn there, and how much he will miss that in particular.
But he’s not the only one putting the company on blast for being supportive of a population that has a 41% suicide attempt rate.
It looks like some folks got organized enough to take the time to make matching t-shirts and just start shouting at Target entry points in the hopes of getting their point across.
Here’s the Orea family’s video:
And here’s an unnamed man:
“I can’t believe that Target would allow men to walk into women’s bathrooms,” shouts the unnamed name in increasing volumes as the crowd of disinterested shoppers boo him.
Not to be out done, one activist about an hour south of Chicago made such a fuss at a local Target that the cops were called. Confusion around what exactly was going on lead to someone saying a gun and active shooter was involved – it was a mess to say the lease. I know watching someone yell aggressively about God near the only entrance and exists of an enclosed space would scare me enough to think the worst. Watch the video of that here.
Honestly, I almost respect the technique – there’s something to be said for speaking your mind despite what authorities might say otherwise. But when your goal is to stigmatize an already affected group, you and your cause come off as self-righteous and boarding on crazy.
And as we’ve started saying around the GayRVA office here, you can’t put this cat back in the bag. The moment presidential candidates start getting asked about transgender rights, that’s when the movement has already won. There’s gonna be tears and maybe some blood shed between now and then, but if marriage equality taught us anything, the more the conservative right shouts about it (sometimes literally in the halls of a department store) the less people listen.
Tim is a writer, video game nerd, and music fan. You'll see him at shows, or you wont really see him at all.
Devos becomes unlikely ally as Trump prepares to rescind transgender bathroom guidelines for public school
Devo’s advocacy for charter schools, voucher programs for religious private schools and “school choice” have put her at odds with progressive advocatesFebruary 22, 2017
- Trump administration withdraws support in transgender bathroom use appeal, February 11, 2017
- Across the nation a wave of anti-trans bills are set to be debated, January 25, 2017
- Bob Marshall threatens the NCAA, calls Forbes fake news, gets confronted by Richmond trans man in “bathroom bill” press conference gone wrong, January 12, 2017
- Prev Award winning documentary on attacks against reproductive health comes to RTP with proceeds going towards women’s theatre group
- Next Ted Cruz drops out – what does that mean for his anti-LGBTQ message?
- Back to top
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Sean M. Smith
- VA Senator Tim Kaine speaks out against roll back of transgender student’s rights
- ACLU and Lambda Legal oppose newly proposed HB2 repeal
- ANIMAL RVA returns with live music event at Smatter this weekend
- Mayor Stoney urges support for RVA as city gets nominated as top destination for British LGBT travelers