As bad as Trump could be, the other two GOP front runners are even worse on LGBTQ issues
It’s real easy for party leaders to decry the bullying actions of front-runner Donald Trump, but lets keep in mind those who lag behind the billionaire, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, are both guilty of a number of anti-LGBTQ bullying acts themselves.
Cruz might be more vocal about it, but Rubio isn’t afraid to step up to the gay-bashing plate either – and these aren’t old steps by either candidate. Within the last month both Senators have spoken out against same-sex marriage or other LGBTQ equality issues.
We have compiled a list of the top five actions the two establishment candidates have taken against the gay community, so if either manage to topple Trump, you’ll know where the fight is in the future.
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio
“We are going to be a country that says life begins at conception and the life is worthy of the protection of our laws. We are going to be a country that says a marriage is between one man and one woman” – in his closing remarks at 2/13/16 Republican debate.
2. Just last month he created a “Marriage & Family Advisory Board” as part of his campaign. “The Supreme Court’s decisions in Windsor and Obergefell are only the most recent example of our failure as a society to understand what marriage is and why it matters,” said Eric Teetsel, the Rubio Campaign’s Director of Faith Outreach in a press release announcing the creation of the board.
4. He has been a keynote speaker at events for at least two organizations that raise money in support of conversion therapy. The first time being in 2013 for the Florida Family Policy Council and the second was just last year for Center for Arizona Policy. Source and
5. He claimed that he would kill his own immigration bill if it ended up giving any kind of rights to LGBTQ couples: “If this bill has in it something that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I’m gone. I’m off it,” Rubio said on a conservative radio show in 2013.
Texas Senator Ted Cruz:
1. He’s supported the repeal of the legalization of gay marriage at the federal level and thinks it should be up to the states to decide:
2. He spoke at an anti gay conference that featured a raving pastor who would, “d cover [himself] in cow manure out of sadness” if he found out his son was fraternizing with gays.
3. He believes that the LGBTQ is “waging jihad” on the religious community by getting married:
4. Defended that pastor’s have the right of “hate speech” against LGBTQ community in the defense of traditional marriage. video:
5. He publicly defended Duck Dynasty’s Phil Roberson after the reality show star made comments comparing homosexuality to beastiality:
“I am most concerned with the fate of the Affordable Care Act. I depend on my health insurance for medications I take every day,”January 19, 2017
- LGBTQ Legal group fears the worst from Trump’s AG nominee, January 9, 2017
- Storm clouds gathering around Trump, December 14, 2016
- Trump’s executive order promise leaves out LGBTQ protections, November 22, 2016
- Prev Equality Virginia set to release legislative report card for the first time since 2013 despite GOP’s efforts to quash votes
- Next Second Wachowski sibling/’Matrix’ creator comes out as trans
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee