AIDSWalk to Raise Money Through Car Show, Citywide Happy Hour
First up, a citywide “helpful happy hour” is scheduled for Friday, May 22 from 6 – 9 p.m. A list of participating venues will be revealed soon. Tentatively, $1 from each drink purchase will be going to AIDSWalk Richmond.
Also in the works is a car show at the 17th Street Farmer’s Market for Saturday, June 13. More info directly from Sibley:
After a twelve year hiatus, AIDSWalk is making its return to our wonderful city. In the last few weeks, basic information has been sent out to the Richmond community with an overwhelming response! These responses from individuals, non-profit organizations and businesses alike have proven to be the guaranteed future success of AIDSWalk Richmond.
The rate of newly reported HIV infections is up 23% in the last three years. The idea of AIDS being a “gay or African-American disease” is a thing of the past as people realize more and more this is an epidemic that touches all walks of life and not only impacts the person who is tested positive, but their family and friends as well. Currently, with well over 4,000 HIV positive individuals living in the Metro Richmond area, now is the time for Richmond to show these people and their families they have a community standing with them to give support and security in their time of need.
AIDSWalk Richmond plans to become a staple fund raising organization serving as a beacon of guidance to show Richmonders living with HIV/AIDS they are not alone while offering education, support and strength to all those who are impacted by the disease. Further, AIDSWalk plans to bring the community together in more ways than just one walk each year.
As Director of AIDSWalk Richmond, planning this to be an annual event which will truly impact the community of Richmond, I invite you to join in our first fund raising classic car show, “CLASSIC CARES”. All funds raised will go directly to AIDSWalk Richmond. Planned for Saturday June 13th, 2009 from 1 – 6pm, Classic Cares is inviting car enthusiasts from across the City of Richmond to this event which hopes to become an annual showcase. The Classic Cares Car Show will take place at the 17th Street Farmers’ Market in Richmond.
To accept this invitation to join in Classic Cares, please email your RSVP including your contact information and basic car description to email@example.com by Monday June 1st, 2009. A suggested donation of $25 will be collected for each vehicle entered at the beginning of the show. If you are a car club leader, please specify your group in your email and this email will serve as your consent for the club name to be used by AIDSWalk Richmond and will be added to our web site, Facebook groups, and be included in invitations and press releases regarding the Classic Cares Car Show only.
Your participation and generosity will make a big difference in the lives of those most affected by HIV/AIDS in our community.
“… They may like men, but that doesn’t mean they’re different”October 12, 2016
- Celebrate Equality After Parties!, February 14, 2014
- HRC: Richmond Well Below National Average for Support of LGBT Community, November 19, 2013
- Tony Award-Winning War Horse Featuring Lifelike And Life-Sized Puppetry Opens At The Landmark, October 30, 2013
- Prev ACLU Hosts National Speaker on LGBT Rights
- Next "Driving Equality" Activist Makes Stop in Richmond
- Back to top
- BREAKING: Senate bill to offer protections for LGBTQs in housing passes first vote with bi-partisan support
- BREAKING: Senate Bill to add protections for Virginia’s LGBTQ public employees passes first hurdle
- Madonna responds to criticism over Women’s March speech
- Broadway smash and Grammy winner Idina Menzel returns to Richmond this Spring
- State Department’s apology for decades of anti-LGBTQ discrimination removed from official website