ACLU urges Gloucester School Board to not pass discriminatory bathroom rules
A rule before the Gloucester County School Board dealing with transgender youth bathroom use has the VA ACLU up in arms.
The proposed rule would require all students to use restrooms according to their “corresponding biological genders,” and, according to the ACLU, would force transyouth to use facilities “inconsistent with their gender identity.”
“There is broad medical consensus that transgender teenagers should live according to their gender identity in every possible respect, including using the appropriate bathrooms,” said ACLU of Virginia Legal Director Rebecca Glenberg in a press release sent out today. “Forcing transgender students to use segregated facilities is intensely stigmatizing.”
According to the ACLU, the proposed policy would “violate Title IX of the United States Education Amendments of 1972,.” which stops schools receiving federal funds from being able to discriminate on the basis of sex.
Just this week, the DOJ sided with trans students in a memo clarifying how Title IX effects their ability to use restrooms according to their gender identity.
From the memo:
How do the Title IX requirements on single-sex classes apply to transgender students?
Answer: All students, including transgender students and students who do not conform to
sex stereotypes, are protected from sex-based discrimination under Title IX. Under Title IX,
a recipient generally must treat transgender students consistent with their gender identity
in all aspects of the planning, implementation, enrollment, operation, and evaluation of
Last month, the story of transmale student at Gloucester High School erupted after the school board began looking to restrict his restroom use. The school had been allowing him to use facilities according to the gender he identified with.
“Gloucester High School is doing the right thing by treating Gavin like any other boy at the school. The school board should not step in to undermine the supportive and welcoming environment that administrators, teachers, and students have created,” said Glenberg.
Virginia high schools are connected to some of the most restrictive in the country when it comes to transgender bathroom use – the Virginia High School league voted unanimously earlier this year to require trans-teens to have undergone sex change surgery in oder to compete with the gender they identify as, a procedure medical professionals do not support.
Violence against transgender teens over bathroom use has a history in the US. In March of this year, a trans-boy was physically and sexually assaulted after leaving a male bathroom in a Northern CA high school.
Top Image via Gloucester School Board website, The 2014 School Board Members are, from left, Anita Parker, Petsworth district; Carla Hook, York; Kevin Smith, at-large; Randy Burak, Abingdon;
“Fox & Friends” Tuesday morning mocked a children’s anti-bullying book that was included in the first grade curriculum of North Carolina’s Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools system. Jacob’s New Dress was written to teach young children about acceptance and “valuing uniqueness and difference,” schools superintendent Ann Clark said. Conservatives had a different take. “The purpose of our elementary schools is to [...]March 28, 2017
- North Carolina set to lose all NCAA bids for 5 years over HB2, February 7, 2017
- Texas Lt. Gov. unveils wide-reaching anti-transgender legislation, January 6, 2017
- Transgender suicide prevention hotline founder detained by US Border Patrol, January 3, 2017
- Prev Alabama lawmaker to name workplace discrimination bill after Apple CEO
- Next Movie Reviews: The Theory of Everything & Horrible Bosses 2
- Back to top
- National LGBTQ campaign group backs transgender candidate in race against author of Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- Diversity Richmond addresses Chesterfield Police community meeting
- Plunge into the depths of high school female relationships in TheatreLAB’s production of ‘Dry Land’
- Brian Burns returns with new book detailing RVA’s history of income inequality, homosexuality and Maymont owner’s use of convict labor
- Proud lesbian, cult survivor and nurse – Chelsea Savage looks to capture Virginia House seat