6 Anti-LGBT Bills in Committee Tomorrow – TAKE ACTION!
Tomorrow, an unprecedented number of anti-LGBT bills will be heard in the House Subcommittee 4 on General Laws sometime after 2PM on 2/4! These blatantly prejudiced bills seek to harm gay and transgender Virginians in a number of ways, from discriminating against LGBT families to prohibiting transgender people and youth from using the appropriate restrooms in schools and government buildings. Read the individual bills below:
- HB 77 (Marshall): Allows for discrimination in violation with federal policy
- HB 385 (Marshall): Removes discrimination protections covering more than 1/4 of gay and transgender public school employees
- HB 397 (LaRock): Contradicts federal policy and narrowly defines sex and gender to exclude transgender people from any protections against discrimination
- HB 663, HB 781 (Cole): Stigmatizes transgender youth and forces them to use incorrect public accommodations
- HB 773 (Gilbert): Provides a license to discriminate against gay and lesbian families
Right now, we need your voice more than ever to ensure these discriminatory and hateful bills never make it out of committee tomorrow.Take action by clicking here to contact your legislator! In just two steps, you can urge your delegate to side with the majority of Virginians and stop these harmful bills in their tracks.
While we are working to ensure those harmful anti-LGBT legislation never become law, we are also persuading legislators to support and pass legislation that provides much needed protections for Virginia’s gay and transgender communities. Tomorrow, we need our delegates to support these pro-equality bills:
- HB 35 (Sullivan): LGBT discrimination included in the definition of “hate crime”
- HB 179 (Kory), HB 429 (Villanueva): Prohibits discrimination in employment
- HB 300 (Simon): Adds protections for LGBT Virginians in fair housing codes
- HB 427 (Hope): Prohibits harmful conversion therapy practices on minors
- HB 913 (Toscano): Prohibits discrimination in employment and housing
- HB 1005 (Levine): Prohibits discrimination in public employment, accommodation, and housing
These bills will add necessary protections for gay and transgender people across the commonwealth and will pave the path for full, lived and legal equality for all Virginians. Urge your delegate to support bills that help protect LGBT Virginians and oppose bills that would harm and discriminate against them tomorrow. Click here to contact your delegate now!
Equality Virginia is the leading statewide, non-partisan advocacy, outreach and education organization seeking equality for LGBT Virginians. EV believes in a truly inclusive Commonwealth where all are equally welcomed and valued, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
It’s always fun to drink and have a little fun while supporting a good cause. Quirk Hotel’s restaurant, Maple & Pine, started Wine Table Tuesdays a few months ago where every week you can sample four wine tastings and the proceeds go toward a different local charity or organization. Tonight, the restaurant will host the [...]April 18, 2017
- Prev Equality Virginia’s ‘Day of Action’ lets LGBTQ & A’s get face-to-face with legislators on 2/9
- Next Baltimore residents propose monument to ‘Pink Flamingos’ Divine character
- Back to top
- May PFLAG meeting features public school employees to discuss how schools handle LGBTQ students
- Surviving faith and family, Jaimie Wilson looks to support trans people like himself through music
- Richmond Triangle Players buys building, names it after “cornerstone” supporter Robert B Moss
- HAIM drops first record in four years, new single is minimal pop gold
- Join Richmond Business Alliance at the VMFA for OutRVA benefit this Friday