16 groups unite for “civil protest” of Jeff Sessions Richmond appearance Wednesday AM
Some of Central Virginia’s biggest activism groups are gathering downtown at the SunTrust building tomorrow AM to welcome AG Jeff Sessions to RVA the only way they know how – with a planned demonstration.
“Attorney General Jeff Sessions is unfit for his position and unwelcome in Richmond,” reads a press release sent out ahead of tomorrow’s action. “With his history of voter suppression, opposing civil rights legislation and denigrating entire demographics of our national population, it is clear that he cannot be trusted to uphold our laws or human rights.”
Sessions has come under fire for a racist past, damaging the case supporting transgender bathroom use in schools, and generally suppressing progressive issues. The former Alabama Senator had to recuse himself from Russia-related investigations after it was found he lied under oath during his nomination hearing.
Tomorrow’s action includes a coalition of activists and citizens hoping to point Sessions back to where he came from… all the way to Alabama, ideally.
“We do not believe that AG Sessions has the desire, capacity or will to act in the best interest of Americans,” reads the release. “We will counter his divisive and demeaning message with our own commitment to inclusion and civil rights. Virginia has chosen the hard and long – but rewarding and equitable – path of inclusion for all. This is the way to the future. We will persist.”
The event starts at 9:30 AM at the public sidewalk outside of the Suntrust Building, 919 E. Main Street, Richmond VA. Sessions will be speaking inside the building with law enforcement officials about “efforts to combat violent crime and restore public safety.”
Meanwhile, outside folks like Claire Gastanaga from the VA ACLU will speak to what Sessions and Trump are doing in DC.
The groups involve include:
Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations (VACOLAO)
Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy (VICPP)
United Faith Leaders
Together We Will RVA (TWW)
Standing Up for Racial Justice RVA (SURJ)
Southerners On New Ground (SONG)
Sierra Club – Virginia Chapter
New Virginia Majority (NVM)
Liberal Women of Chesterfield County (LWCC)
ICE Out of RVA
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Dr. Sheppe was out to faculty and students and advocated for adding sexual orientation to the university’s non-discrimination policyMarch 28, 2017
- Anti-gay Christian group: ACLU raising an ‘Army’ to fight for an ‘Aggressive Pro-LGBTQ Campaign’, March 17, 2017
- Locals protest AG Sessions’ Richmond visit, point to checkered past with civil rights and Russia, March 15, 2017
- AG Jeff Sessions is coming to Richmond this Wednesday AM, it would be a real shame if a bunch of protestors showed up, March 13, 2017
- Prev Queer hip hop icon Mykki Blanco breaks boundaries, takes over Smatter Monday, 3/20
- Next “Exquisite, elaborate” – VA Reps’ ‘End of War’ blurs the line between audience and show
- Back to top
- Missing Charlottesville transgender woman’s case changed to homicide
- Federal judge rules in favor of discriminated gay man but not how you might think
- Diversity Richmond to host first Drag Bingo and afterparty event this Friday
- HEAL LLC creates a ‘soft spot to land’ for LGBTQ women of color with ‘The Healing Journey’
- Pioneering Virginia-born LGBTQ activist and biologist Dr. Walter Sheppe has past away