Valentine’s Day Mishaps
Valentine’s Day celebrates love and those that you share it with. Funny that it started off as the beheading of Saint Valentine himself. I’d say he was a shoe-in for Worst Valentine’s Day award.
I won’t be able to top him since I don’t have any horrible stories, but I do have a funny one.
Before Grace and I were best friends, we dated very briefly our junior year of high school. She loves telling this story to anyone who will listen and just goes to show how clueless I really was.
The day before Valentine’s, different clubs were selling carnations that you could send to people in other classes for $1. I had plenty of people that I wanted to send them too. A Carter, a Ryan, a Jason, all very hot, but I had a feeling they may have freaked out had they received them with my name on the card… so, I didn’t send any.
The next day I get to school and meet up with all my friends and my girlfriend Grace. We get to our first class where everyone is supposed to get his or her flowers.
They all start getting passed out and I end up with 5 different colored carnations on my desk. I was by no means a player. I was just clueless if someone liked me, plus they were girls so I wasn’t looking for it.
I finally meet up with Grace around lunch. I’m walking down the hallway carrying my bundle of Carnations and Grace is standing there empty handed….oops.
Then it dawned on me. This may look really bad to my GIRLFRIEND. She didn’t flinch and never said a word. I told her to come over that night and I would cook up a meal.
The sly dog I was, my parents were cloistered in their room at my persistence, not fifty feet away, so that Grace and I could have “privacy” as if we needed it. She comes over and I’m microwaving Ukrop’s potatoes and macaroni, and basically reheating steak, so much for cooking.
As far as my 16-year-old mind was concerned, I was a chef at the Cordon Bleu!
She valiantly told me I cooked a great meal as I walked her to her car. I leaned against her door and leaned in to kiss her. We barely pecked; I pulled away fast and told her good night.
We didn’t last much longer and I’m glad we didn’t.
She’s my best friend and I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Justin is a 23 year old senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. He is working on his bachelors in English and looking for Mr. Right. You can read more about his escapades in dating at his personal blog, "A Gay College Guy in Virginia".
This year marked the 10th annual Witness for Love event held every Valentines day to remind Virginians about the unequal treatment LGBTQ couples face in the eyes of the law. Sadly, several of the events this year had to be canceled because of snow storms closing roads and court houses. But tomorrow you’ll have another [...]April 30, 2014
- A Singles Guide to Valentine’s Day (Misery Edition), February 13, 2014
- Win a Valentines Day Date Night!, February 6, 2014
- Places You Should Be On Valentine’s Day In RVA, February 14, 2013
- Prev Interior Design: Animal Prints & Ethnic Patterns
- Next Relationship Tips from Doctor-Jon: “V” Day
- Back to top
- UPDATED: Official White House website scrubbed of LGBTQ content
- Suffolk Police Department Appoints Two LGBTQ Community Liaison Officers
- Gallup poll: Record number of Americans identify as LGBTQ
- BREAKING: Bill to allow a “person” to deny services for same-sex weddings passes Virginia House subcommittee
- BREAKING: Bill to add LGBTQ protections to Virginia’s Human Rights Act killed in House subcommittee