Gifting Wine From The Grocery…
‘Tis the season for a holiday gift guide. Looking for that great gift for a co-worker, friend or favorite librarian? In a time-crunch? Why not a bottle of wine? There’s nothing better than a good Virginia wine. You don’t have to go far either – we scooted out our local Kroger for these great wine choices.
- Williamsburg Wineries – Governor’s White 2008: I haven’t met a person who doesn’t like Governor’s White. Sweet, but not overwhelming, it’s perfect for sipping on casually with friends or to complement the holiday ham (or turkey, if pork isn’t your thing). Kroger price: $9.67
- Barboursville – Virginia Merlot 2008: Of all the wines I’ve tasted at festivals, this is my favorite red. As a Merlot, it’s great with steak, but, I’ll tell you a secret: I’m a boy who loves brownies, and this tastes so good with a brownie, or two brownies, or three. I’ll admit, I’ve woken up with some stained red lips from this one. Kroger price: $13.69
- Rockbridge – Lexington & Concord: Oh. My. Gosh. A friend got me on to this a year-or-so ago. I’m not lying, this is like alcoholic grape juice. In other words, it’s delicious. When it gets a little warmer (which, at the rate we’re going, will probably be next week), this is a great picnic wine. For an even sweeter variety, you can check out Rockbridge’s Jeremiah too. Kroger price: $11.69
- Lake Anna – Totally Red Wine: This is a great table wine. If your recipient likes Totally Red, you can offer to take them to the Renaissance Festival, at Lake Anna wineries in 2010! It’s an annual festival with bar maids, jousting and Lake Anna wine. It’s like an in-person History Channel … with wine. Kroger price: $10.29
- Chateau Morrisette – Our Dog Blue: A tasty Riesling, that’s fairly fruity, but not too sweet. The bottle is nice and well-designed, and if you’re crafty, it’s perfect for a wine candle holder after you’re done drinking. Other Chateau Morrisette wines support animal organizations, the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation and Virginia Tech. Check them out at http://dogs4acause.org. Kroger price: $12.59
Keep in mind, Kroger is known for some good deals. You’ll find that most of these wines may be a little cheaper depending on the week. Of course, Virginia is filled with so many good wineries – we’ll be reviewing more Virginia wines in the coming months (I’m quite the fan of James River Cellars and the New Kent Winery – yum!). We’ll talk wine soon, cheers!
Have a glass of wine Out of the Box every Wednesday on GayRVA.
Wal-Mart has recently extended health insurance coverage for its transgender employees, according to a Bloomberg News story posted Monday. “At Wal-Mart, respect for the individual is one of the core beliefs that are the foundation of our company,” spokesman Kevin Gardner said in an e-mailed statement to Bloomberg. “We are committed to fostering an inclusive [...]December 6, 2016
- BREAKING: Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe vetoes ‘religious freedom’ legislation, calls them “bad for business”
- LGBTQ-related questions removed from federal surveys under Trump’s leadership
- Protestors welcome alt-right leader Richard Spencer at his new NOVA office
- VA Pilot profiles trans homeless man who found refuge in VA beach
- Kabana Rooftop to host drag brunch benefit for Diversity Richmond Saturday