Don’t give up hope! Survey shows how gay men use dating apps
The folks over at GrabHim.net run an interesting website, giving gay men dating and sex advice through a pretty impressive platform. But a new survey they released (with a really neat info graphic seen below) dives deep into how we use dating apps and it shows some interesting results.
“Are other guys having the same experience you are on the gay dating apps? We wondered, too,” reads the intro the the survey results. “Our purpose for the survey was simple: To help you compare your experiences with other gay men.”
The survey was conducted over four weeks during February, 2015. They asked the below questions to 4,000 18-65-year-old men. It was advertised through a Facebook ad campaign and not paid for by an dating app or service.
First off, almost everybody seems to be showing off their junk - 83% of respondents said they’ve sent a dick pic.
“That means almost everybody on the dating apps has taken the time to pose their penis (to add an optical inch or two, natch), store it on their phone and send it off to strangers they are likely never to meet,” writes the survey’s authors. “Just think, these men have two penises in their pocket!”
31% of ya’ll lie on your stats, yea fibbers. Nobody wins when you lie, so grow up and realize honest communication is key. “A bitter queen once told us that certain gay men lie and cheat so much you have to count your teeth after they kiss you,” the authors wrote – and we agree.
Almost half (45%) of us don’t hook up from the apps - so maybe we should stop saying “we all know what you’re doing on here!” when someone says they are just looking for friends.
At the same time, the study authors point out, the statistic could be brought up because of the numbers of folks lying about their stats, showing up to mess around the other half of the equation isn’t down.
“If you thought you were meeting a young hottie and the guy that shows up is so old he owes Jesus ten bucks for the lumber, you’re probably going to bail.”
The number I think is the best is towards the bottom 71% of those who replied ended up in some kind of longer-term sexual relationship thanks to the app. This could be boyfriends, FWBs, or something in between – but no matter what, people are meeting people and spending more than one night together about 3/4s of the time.
To me, that sounds pretty promising to those ready to delete all apps from their phone.
Check out the rest of the stats in the awesome infographic below:
Tim is a writer, video game nerd, and music fan. You'll see him at shows, or you wont really see him at all.
He was beaten nonstop for an entire hour and suffered a bruised diaphragm as a result.March 4, 2016
- An open letter to the Republican House member we saw on Grindr this weekend, January 26, 2016
- New dating app lets users vote on guys ‘to keep creeps out’, January 5, 2016
- Grindr users love Bernie Sanders and The Donald, September 25, 2015
- Prev ‘I am no longer Mia. I never really was’ – A trans teen’s powerful moment of truth
- Next Stafford County School Board to force trans students into segregated bathrooms
- Back to top
- ‘ISIS: A Love Story’ turns the worlds most nefarious terrorist organization into a queer Romeo & Juliet
- HRC and national pediatric organizations team up for new guide on raising transgender kids
- Live performance of ‘Phantom’ at the Byrd Theatre aims to highlight the famed movie palace’s original elegance
- James Franco is starring in a movie about Virginia’s darkest gay porn secret
- After Virginia Blood Services donation controversy, RVA transman donates blood with Red Cross