Volunteer with GayRVA.com for HandsOn Day 2011. On Saturday, Oct. 29 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., we need a team of 40 volunteers to help build terrace walls and plant shrubbery at Patrick Henry Charter School that will prevent soil from eroding on the grounds.
For more HandsOn Day projects, visit HandsOn Greater Richmond.
How To Register
- Login or create an account at HandsOn Greater Richmond by clicking here.
- Click “My Account” in the gray toolbar.
- Select “Join Public Team”
- Search “GayRVA.com” and join our team.
For troubleshooting or questions, e-mail Kevin Clay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More About The Project
The Patrick Henry School of Science & Arts provides children of our diverse community with an academically rigorous science and arts based curriculum that emphasizes environmental awareness and social responsibility. The as-yet-unused school building’s grounds include some relatively steep slopes with severely eroded soils. Low terrace walls will be constructed to prevent further erosion; new soil will be added to the terraces, and native shrubs will be planted to provide erosion control, wildlife habitat, and educational opportunities for students as well as the entire community.
- Assist in buliding terrace walls out of cement bags or landscape timbers
- Use shovels, wheelbarrows, and rakes to add soil behind the terrace walls
- Plant 40-50 native shrubs and small trees that will provide long-term soil stabilization
Some tasks involve heavy lifting. Work will take place outdoors and some areas may be off limits to smaller children. Any off limit areas will be clearly marked. Parking will be off street behind the building. In the event of rain, the project will be inside the school and tasks will differ.
About HandsOn Greater Richmond
HandsOn Greater Richmond is an online network connecting community organizations with volunteers. With fall just around the corner, local nonprofits and organizations are preparing a wide variety of volunteer projects for HandsOn Day. In this 4th annual event over 1,000 volunteers will join together in a citywide day of service.
- A look at the Rodney King riots 25 years later in ‘Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992′ at TheatreLAB this weekend
- Missing Charlottesville transgender woman’s case changed to homicide
- Federal judge rules in favor of discriminated gay man but not how you might think
- Diversity Richmond to host first Drag Bingo and afterparty event this Friday
- HEAL LLC creates a ‘soft spot to land’ for LGBTQ women of color with ‘The Healing Journey’