#RVAPride: Kings Dominion
#RVA Pride is what keeps us in Richmond. #RVAPride is what we love and do in the city. #RVAPride is businesses, people, place, and things that support the LGBT community here in Richmond. #RVAPride is a campaign to help bring LGBT people to Richmond. Get in on the fun, use #RVAPride on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and help grow this city into the space we want it to be.
Kings Dominion is one of the premiere travel destinations on a trip to Richmond, and the month of September has a special incentive for LGBT folks to make the trip. Brother Help Thyself, a DC based non-profit group, works with the park to throw one of the biggest and best LGBT parties on the Coast, this year’s event falls on September 14th, right in the middle of RVAPride month! With more than 60 rides, attractions, and shows, it has the largest collection coasters on the East Coast. It’s always great to see a local business take an interest in the LGBT community, so be sure to thank those at Kings Dominion by stopping by for a ride or two. John Taylor, Director of Marketing & Sales for Kings Dominion, spoke with his management team and they told us why the theme park has #RVAPride.
1 – Why are you participating in this campaign?
Kings Dominion is proud to be a part of the campaign and values the partnerships we have with all community organizations in the region. We have worked with Brother Help Thyself (BHT), a non-profit organization located in the Washington D.C./Baltimore area, on a private park event for many years and have been pleased with the successes we’ve had. This year, the Richmond Gay Community Foundation has joined the effort to broaden awareness for the BHT event among Central Virginia residents. We are confident that with the added support, this private event will continue to grow and flourish.
2 – If you were to bring a LGBT friend/family member to Richmond, why would you take them to your establishment? Were else would you take them here in Richmond?
Kings Dominion is proud of its more than 60 rides, shows and attractions, including the new bigger, better Planet Snoopy children’s area, which opened this past Spring. And of course for thrill seekers, Kings Dominion features 15 world-class roller coasters, making it ‘the most on the East Coast’. This Fall, Kings Dominion transforms from a theme park to a scream park with its annual Halloween event – Halloween Haunt. This night-time event features 10 mazes, 6 themed scare zones, several live shows and more than 450 monsters roaming the midways and debuts on Friday night, Sept. 27. Outside of Kings Dominion, the Richmond region has an outstanding selection of tourist attractions appealing to all interest levels and is what make this region so exciting and unique.
3 – why are you proud to support or be a member of the LGBT community here in Richmond
Kings Dominion works with and is proud to support the many community organizations in our region. Through these partnerships, and our Kings Dominion Cares program, we have contributed thousands of dollars to support local organizations and initiatives in an effort to better our community and be a good corporate citizen.
“We worked very hard to make this Pridefest something that our community could be proud of–and I think we achieved that.”September 14, 2015
- Virginia Pridefest 2014 in photos via #RVAPride, September 29, 2014
- Virginia Pride Is Headed to Brown’s Island for 2014, April 14, 2014
- GayRVA Needs Models for Carytown American Apparel #RVAPride Photo Shoot, April 9, 2014
- Prev Babe’s Carytown Gears up For Taco Eating Contest for a Chance to Win $50
- Next “I deal with the realities of being a woman in the world and that doesn’t stop because I’m trans.” An Interview with Orange Is The New Black’s Laverne Cox
- Back to top
- LGBTQ-specific Homeless shelter next up for unstoppable local trans activist – but she needs your help
- VA Beach school board shuts down lauded Gay-Straight Alliance event
- Taking a theatrical break from all that holiday cheer – “Little Women” and “Gilgamisha”
- ‘The Charitable Sisterhood Christmas Spectacular’ is just what Santa ordered
- Pat McCrory concedes, NC finds new Governor in LGBTQ-ally Roy Cooper