OpEd: Richmond Mayor Dwight Jones Is Unfit to be Democratic Party Chair
Yesterday I noted that the LGBT Democrats of Virginia have said a resounding “No” to Richmond mayor Dwight Jones becoming Chair of the Democratic Party of Virginia.
Now, Jones is talking out of both sides of his mouth as he says he believes in equality for all under the law but still believes that LGBT Virginians should remain second class citizens when it comes to recognition of our life relationships.
That type of double speak is more what one would expect from the foul Christofascists at The Family Foundation rather than the possible chair of the Democrat Party in this state. The whole situation also raises the question of why Terry McAuliffe (or his staff) did not better research Jones’ position on LGBT issues.
Sadly, Jones is seemingly one of the many black pastors in Virginia who carries water for the Christofascists on the issue of same sex marriage. NBC-12 TV looks at Jones’ efforts to use mealy mouthed dissembling to defuse the issue. Here are highlights:
Michael Hamar is an out gay attorney in a committed relationship; formerly married and father of three wonderful children; sometime activist and political/news junkie; survived coming out in mid-life and hope to share my experiences and reflections with others. Follow him at Michael In Norfolk.
In addition to the presence of a well educated population, one of the reasons religion has withered in Western Europe is because the memory of the excesses of religion in the past are still remembered. Wars of religion, the special rights granted to the Church and general behavior which was the antithesis of true Christian [...]July 1, 2014
- Prev The Deep Dish On the Oscars
- Next Nacho Average Business Owner: The Story of Raul Cantu
- Back to top
- May PFLAG meeting features public school employees to discuss how schools handle LGBTQ students
- Surviving faith and family, Jaimie Wilson looks to support trans people like himself through music
- Richmond Triangle Players buys building, names it after “cornerstone” supporter Robert B Moss
- HAIM drops first record in four years, new single is minimal pop gold
- Join Richmond Business Alliance at the VMFA for OutRVA benefit this Friday