Conservative Group Calls VA Same-sex Marriage Win a “Valentines Day Marriage Massacre”
Lets go ahead and define hyperbole so we can get everyone on the same page:
hy·per·bo·le: noun \hī-ˈpər-bə-(ˌ)lē\ : language that describes something as better or worse than it really is (via Merriam-Webster.com)
Now lets define massacre:
mas·sa·cre: noun \ˈma-si-kər\ the violent killing of many people (via via Merriam-Webster.com)
Alright, looks like we got the language down for the rest of this English/history 101 lesson.
Same-sex marriage will not result in the violent killing of many people. In fact, marriage of any kind is not really known for brutal murder unless you count this collection of “Black Widow” style serial killers who all left their husbands in caskets. (notice all of these killers are women in hetro-marriages)
Now, as a writer and fan of language I respect the use of hyperbole. But in a recent beg for cash by the conservative activist group Liberty Counsel, the win for same-sex marriage issued by Eastern Distrcit Judge Allen-Wright on February 13th was called a ”Valentines Day Marriage Massacre.”
1. The Jamestown Massacre
2. The Boston Massacre
3. The Yangzhou Massacre
As many as 800,000 residents of Yangzhou, China were said to have fallen under Prince Dodo’s orders to conquer the city. The brutal event took place over 10 days in 1645 and was believed to be punishment for the citizens resisting the Qing Dynasty. It was also used as a warning for the rest of Jiangnan to not fight back against the invading nation.
Now this is just an example of a few ACTUAL massacres which resulted in the mass loss of life. Real people really died as the result of real intolerance or struggles for power.
Letting me marry my boyfriend will not lead to an LGBTQ army taking to the streets, invading your churches, or stealing your crops.
I’m sorry to break it to you, but I’m even more sorry I have to explain the difference.
Tim is a writer, video game nerd, and music fan. You'll see him at shows, or you wont really see him at all.
‘ISIS: A Love Story’ turns the worlds most nefarious terrorist organization into a queer Romeo & Juliet
It’s easy to compare what the characters are going through to LGBTQ folks in more conservative parts of the US where such love is similarly, though not as harshly, punished.September 29, 2016
- HRC and national pediatric organizations team up for new guide on raising transgender kids,
- Live performance of ‘Phantom’ at the Byrd Theatre aims to highlight the famed movie palace’s original elegance,
- James Franco is starring in a movie about Virginia’s darkest gay porn secret, September 28, 2016
- Prev The Talented Mr. Ripley Challenges Us To Love a Sociopath
- Next VCU’s Annual Dance Show Sets The Bar High
- Back to top
- ‘ISIS: A Love Story’ turns the worlds most nefarious terrorist organization into a queer Romeo & Juliet
- HRC and national pediatric organizations team up for new guide on raising transgender kids
- Live performance of ‘Phantom’ at the Byrd Theatre aims to highlight the famed movie palace’s original elegance
- James Franco is starring in a movie about Virginia’s darkest gay porn secret
- After Virginia Blood Services donation controversy, RVA transman donates blood with Red Cross