Bernie Sanders defended gay troops before it was cool
Long before the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, current Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders was not taking crap from conservatives trying to trash LGBTQ soldiers.
The clip below comes from a House session in 1995. Republican Congressman Duke Cunningham is talking about the dangers of government regulation, listing issues he has like a grocery list. He’s trying to call out “the same people who would cut defense spending… the same ones who would not fund BRAC… the same ones who would let homos in the military….”
The speech is a bit long, but it pains a pretty vile picture of how LGBTQs were treated at the time.
But towards the end of the video, Sanders steps up and asks Cunningham to clarify his comments:
“I heard the gentleman say something a moment ago about putting homos in the military… was the gentleman talking about the thousands of men and women who have put their lives on the line fighting countless wars, defending this country… YOU HAVE INSULTED THOUSANDS of men and women who put their lives on the line!”
Check out the video below, again, from 1995, two years after DADT was put into effect:
Meanwhile here’s Hilary Clinton in 2004 talking about how she believes only in same-sex marriage:
“I believe marriage is not just a bond but a sacred bond between a man and a woman. I have had occasion in my life to defend marriage, to stand up for marriage, to believe in the hard work and challenge of marriage. So I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or to the fundamental bedrock principle that it exists between a man and a woman, going back into the midst of history as one of the founding, foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principal role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society into which they are to become adults.”
Tim is a writer, video game nerd, and music fan. You'll see him at shows, or you wont really see him at all.
Covering the NH Primary results for MSNBC, Rachel Maddow shared some surprisingly personal thoughts about her feelings as a gay person during Bill Clinton‘s presidency. Maddow feels Clinton, who gave us DOMA and DADT, didn’t really do enough to support gay rights in the face of pretty vocal opposition from Republicans at the time: And I look at all the young people, particularly at this [...]February 11, 2016
- Clinton explains plans for LGBTQ rights if elected, December 21, 2015
- Hillary Clinton explains how she plans to fight for LGBTQ rights, November 9, 2015
- Hilary Clinton embraces her rocky gay-marriage past in SNL sketch opposite lesbian cast member, October 5, 2015
- Prev Meet the Gloucester County teen who might change the lives of transgender youth around the country
- Next Straight men everywhere are making out with each other to spite Kim Davis
- Back to top
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it
- Bullied teen’s attempted suicide spurred canceled GSA event at VA Beach high school