Top 5 Weekend Events
Read More: Brother Help Thyself, Dr. Christine McGinn, Fan Free Clinic, Gay & Lesbian Night, Gay Community Center of Richmond, HandsOn Greater Richmond, James River Transgender Society, Kings Dominion, Richmond Triangle Players, RVA Music Fest, Second Fridays
Dr. Christine McGinn
World-renowned transgender surgeon and specialist, Dr. Christine McGinn, from the Papillon Center in New Hope, PA will be speaking Friday evening at the Fan Free Clinic, 1010 N. Thompson St. The event is sponsored by the James River Transgender Society. The event is from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free.
Second Fridays Happy Hour
The 2300 Club will be extending the summer season by a few days for this month’s Second Fridays Happy Hour. The patio will be open with icy summer cocktail drinks available. The Richmond Triangle Players will be giving away tickets to the opening night performance of Suddenly Last Summer, presented by the Richmond Triangle Players and Firehouse Theater Project as part of the Tennessee Williams Centennial Celebration. A portion of bar sales from this event benefits the Gay Community Center of Richmond.
RVA Music Fest 2011
This citywide music festival kicks off on Saturday, September 10 at various bars and venues around town in the evening. (Check our calendar here for all the details). Then on Sunday from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., Shockoe Bottom will be taken over by Girl Talk and a slew of other DJs and performers. Check out the site here for more information. Partial proceeds from RVA Music Fest will be donated to Gallery5 and Richmond Unites. Tickets range from $22 to $300.
Gay Nights at Kings Dominion
The annual Kings Dominion Gay and Lesbian Night will be benefiting Brother, Help Thyself (BTH), the biggest fundraiser for BTH. Along with the offered rides and attractions, there will be a party on International Street at 11 p.m. For more information on the event, visit Brother, Help Thyself’s website here. Tickets are available online and at the door.
Citywide 9/11 Remembrance
The City of Richmond remembers the tenth anniversary of 9/11 this Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. HandsOn Greater Richmond teams up with the Mayor’s office for a day of service. Get out and volunteer alongside organizations such as the Richmond Fire Department, Richmond Departments of Parks and Recreation, William Byrd Community House and several others. To find out how to volunteer, visit HandsOn Greater Richmond here.
For more events, visit our calendar.
‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
“This is not a political protest piece, this is a reaction, a theatrical reaction to something,”December 7, 2016
- RTP’s ‘Scrooge in Rouge’ is delightful, bawdy Dickens, November 29, 2016
- RTP’s ‘Scrooge in Rouge’ offers a twist on a Christmas classic, with some drag, November 15, 2016
- RBA offers networking, Blue Bee Cider and RTP’s ‘Scrooge in Rouge’ on 11/17, November 14, 2016
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it