TheatreLAB’s ‘9 Circles’ portrays a gritty tale of an American solider on trial for his life
Inspired by Dante’s Inferno, TheatreLAB’s ”9 Circles” invites you to go down to Hell along with American soldier Daniel E. Reeves and confront your demons starting tomorrow.
“’9 Circles’ is about the demons that live within us all and how we deal with them,” said Joe Toscano, director of the play. “Coming to terms with certain things we’ve done may not be easy, but it is always inevitable. “Here, we get to pay witness to all the major life events circling around this terrible incident and how Daniel copes with his decisions and, now, the consequences.”
The character of Daniel is loosely based on the story of the real American soldier Pvt. Steven Dale Green who was given five life sentences after participating in the Mahmudiyah rape and killings in 2006.
Green claimed that he was so desensitized to war that he no longer saw Iraqis as human beings.
So, that being said this is a very intense premise for a play.
“This is not your traditional piece of theatre,” Toscano said. “It does not take place around a family dinner table or in anyone’s living room. “This play is visceral and can be tough to watch. I believe Richmond will really embrace this piece because it isn’t your everyday theatre piece. I think Richmond will appreciate that.”
Throughout the play, the audience journeys through Daniel’s guilt as he goes on a Dante-esque voyage where he navigates through “a minefield of questions regarding morality, war, and the depravity inside us all.”
Though the play is based on events that happened a decade ago, the director believes the message of the play is still as significant as it is timely.
“I think this piece is important because of the relevance it has maintained –especially now with the media coverage of ISIS and the ongoing trauma in the Middle East,” Toscano said. “ It’s very important because the events discussed in the show are actual events that occurred. The names may have been changed, but the reports read in the show are the actual reports from the Mahmudiyah Killings. It is important to learn from the past so we don’t face the same tragic outcome.”
9 Circles is the first of several plays in Theatre Lab’s “Cellar Series”. The Cellar Series run on a second stage in The Basement and each will have about six to eight performances over two weekends.
“The Cellar Series is the perfect platform for our CompanyArtists to experiment with positions they haven’t held before,” TheatreLAB Associate Artistic Director Jesse McLean said. “This production involves several very experienced artists, but mostly it is being worked on by emerging professionals. Audiences should come eager to support new art created by mostly new artists.”
The next show in the Cellar series will be a script based on the greek tragedy play Medea written by VCU graduate student Brandon Sterrett.
“For every Cellar Season we hope to present a re-imagined classic play, and 9 Circles is inspired by Dante’s Inferno so it seemed an intriguing choice.” McLean said.
9 Circles will have its debut performance on Jan. 14 at The Basement on 300 E Broad. It will run until Jan. 24. General admission is $15 and tickets can be purchased here .
A look at the Rodney King riots 25 years later in ‘Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992′ at TheatreLAB this weekend
“America is not very different 25 years later.”March 30, 2017
- The controversial story of a young women’s search for peace in Palestine comes to life thanks to TheatreLAB, March 6, 2017
- ‘Grand Concourse’ does well to intersect faith and identity in TheatreLAB’s ever-evolving The Basement, February 6, 2017
- TheatreLAB’s ‘Grand Concourse’ explores sensitive themes around faith, January 31, 2017
- Prev Virginia could ban ex-gay therapy on kids if any of these several bills pass
- Next It’s not all bad – legislators push for protections for Virginia’s LGBTQ’s in housing, workplace and more
- Back to top
- Proud lesbian, cult survivor and nurse – Chelsea Savage looks to capture Virginia House seat
- Alabama one step closer to matching Virginia with anti-LGBTQ adoption legislation
- GAYCATION returns with ‘United We Stand’ special focusing on LGBTQ life in Trump’s America
- Virginia trans teen is youngest of Time Magazine’s ‘Most Influential People’ for 2017
- British electronic legends Hot Chip to play brunch DJ set at Kabana Rooftop on 4/30