Sweethearts Raise Money For Art On Wheels
Even though he’s an artist, Kevin Orlesky says art auctions can be boring. At Sweethearts for the Arts, his organization hopes to spice things up. Burlesque girls shimmy to live music, while the audience sips on champagne, and drag queens perform to raise money for Art on Wheels.
This vaudeville Valentines event happens tomorrow night at Gallery5.
Executive Director Andrea Olson is excited to bring several forms of entertainment into the mix.
“Burlesque and drag have very similar roots. In Richmond, at least, the audiences have remained somewhat separate,” she said. “What a wonderful way to get these two communities to come together in something that will be fun for everyone.”
Art On Wheels brings hands-on photography, papermaking and more to communities with limited access to art programs including children, seniors, and the disabled.
Lead instructor Orlesky started the organization with Olson after they moved to Richmond. After inspiration from a print shop in Chicago that traveled to schools teaching printmaking, they decided to test the waters in their new city.
“It came to be that the elderly and disabled community has the biggest need in Richmond,” Orlesky said.
In 2010, the organization looks forward to having their biggest year through word of mouth. Currently they have a partnership with the YMCA called Friendship Café. Senior groups around Greater Richmond meet at churches or community centers for a hot meal, social opportunities, and different art activities. A program with Hilliard House for homeless mothers and their children is also on the horizon.
For tomorrow night, Orlesky looks forward to exposing his organization to a new audience.
“Music benefits can draw a fare amount of people that may not know who we are so they can learn about us as well,” he said.
Sweethearts for the Arts takes place at 8 p.m. on Friday, February 12 at Gallery5 on 200 W. Marshall Street. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online at http://gallery5arts.org.
TheatreLAB will bring burlesque to their stage for the first time this weekend in partnership with local burlesque performer Deanna Danger with the new series “Butchertown Burlesque”. “Butchertown Burlesque” will feature a live jazz band, a dance floor, and performances from Danger, fellow RVA performer Lula Houp-Garou and Newport News-based dancer Jo’Rie Tigerlily. Audience members [...]June 9, 2016
- “Sweethearts for the Arts” to help fund Art on Wheels in a dreamlike setting, with lots of your sweet tooth and heart to enjoy, January 26, 2015
- Virginia Burlesque and Sideshow Festival Brings International, Sexy Weirdos To RVA This Weekend (Ticket Giveaway), May 29, 2014
- Join POFEV for Postponed Witness for Love Thursday at Hanover County Courthouse, April 30, 2014
- Virginia Musical Theatre in Norfolk puts on a great show
- Attack on Equality House leaves bullet holes and anti-LGBTQ graffiti
- Quill Theatre presents its first musical with Stephen Sondheim’s dark comedy, ‘Assassins’
- TheatreLAB’s ‘Mother Courage and Her Children’ features ambitious casting decisions and immersive set design inside a powerful war-time drama
- Study: Kids raised by same-sex parents show no difference from those raise by different-sex couples