Single on Valentines? Check out Animal back at Smatter Saturday Night
It’s almost Valentines Day which means everyone who’s in a relationship is a gross mess right now, and all the single folks are just looking for an excuse to get lose. Well, here’s your chance – join the folks at ANIMAL, RVA’s best queer dance party, as they return to Strange Matter to fit the sold out crowd that took over Balliceaux last month.
So join ANIMAL at Strange Matter as we honor all the bruised and bloodied hearts of Richmond through the dark art of dance!
@ Strange Matter - 929 W Grace St., Richmond, VA 23220
☆ Connie ϟue // ☽ Eric Tomlin // ☄ Skirts (DJ set)
FREE // 21+
SINGLES WELCOME//COUPLES TOLERATED
ANIMAL Event Page
ANIMAL on Facebook
Here are 5 songs we suggest if you’re single and ready to tingle! <3 XOXXX
Light Asylum – “Heart of Dust”
This darkwave duo isn’t afraid to get a little gritty. Since 2010, Light Asylum has collaborated with bands like TV On the Radio and The Knife. Shannon Funchess’s powerful vocals are steam in a kettle of boiling synths and we’ve never seen anyone look that good in five layers of mud!
High-Functioning Flesh – “Self-Management”
High-Functioning Flesh creates abrasive, yet surprisingly danceable, industro-punk. Think Cabaret Voltaire meets Nine Inch Nails. If you’re single on Valentine’s Day, chances are that your evening will culminate in some tender “self management,” right after you polish off that pint of gelato and Netflix binge for a minimum of 10 hours. In any case, you now have the perfect soundtrack for killing kittens…
Prom Date – “X My Heart”
Prom Date is a New Orleans-based synthpop collective that has been producing dance-worthy hits since their debut in 2010. “X My Heart” is an ideal anthem for anyone plagued by the much feared ex hex. We also recommend burning sage, along with anything they’ve left in your home for more than 6 months.
Animal Bodies – “Deep Sleep”
Animal Bodies have been making a name for themselves with an affinity for bondage aesthetics and smoldering beats. “Deep Sleep” is an atmospheric little techno-dirge that is sure to reawaken your festering zombie heart. The video stars Vancouver-based entertainer, Jane Smoker, who appears to be our tour guide in a vacant S&M club.
Cut Copy – “Meet Me in the House of Love”
Cut Copy has been producing their own buoyant blend of psych/disco for several years now. Rising up initially as a solo act, and later as a foursome, the aussie group is now on their fourth album. Cut Copy’s video for “Meet Me in the House of Love” features a predictably adorable Ben Sinclair. You may recognize him as the star and co-creator of the completely hilarious and heartwarming web series High Maintenance. It’s a great show to watch alone or after a good snogging.
Big Freedia on Beyonce, gyrating laws & gritty small shows ahead of 10/15 Strange Matter performance
“I just try and keep my music on a positive happy page and help people enjoy life.”October 12, 2016
- RVA DJ duo Deep Velvet releases new mix ahead of post-VA Pride Animal performance 9/24, September 15, 2016
- Big Freedia returns to RVA this Oct. with “shaking, twerking, bouncing, wobbling, wiggling, bending over, busting open, all of that”, August 17, 2016
- Strange Matter to host benefit concert this Wednesday for Orlando Pulse victims, June 20, 2016
- Prev SPARC offers benefit performance of ‘A New Brain’ to support Jason Campbell’s recovery
- Next Urban Outfitters under fire for selling tapestry resembling gay Holocaust garb
- Back to top
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it