The Richmond Symphony released its 2014-15 season preview last week and we’re pumped for a long list of exciting, talented, and unique chances to catch some amazing performances here in RVA.
“I am confident that in looking at the 2014-2015 Richmond Symphony season you will find something familiar you would love to hear as well as something else that piques your curiosity,” said Music Director Steven Smith. ”You won’t want to miss the chance to feel the energy and hear the thrilling sound of the Richmond Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and our spectacular guest artists. Your energy completes the communal experience of live music that excites us all.”
· An opening night concert with internationally acclaimed violinist Joshua Bell performing the Bruch Violin Concerto on September 20, 2014
· A partnership with the Virginia Holocaust Museum and the Weinstein Jewish Community Center for International Holocaust Remembrance Day on January 27, 2015 commemorating the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz
· A special performance of the works of Duke Ellington at both the Carpenter Theatre and The St. Paul’s Baptist Church featuring the Church’s chorus, the Richmond Symphony Chorus and One Voice Chorus on February 13 & 14, 2015
· Warner Bros. Presents Bugs Bunny at the Symphony II at The Altria Theatre on May 16, 2015
· An Altria Masterworks season that includes Ellington, Tchaikovsky’s Fourth Symphony, Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto, Elgar’s Enigma Variations, a world premier from composer Ben Broening, and two concerts featuring the Richmond Symphony Chorus that include: Mahler’s Second Symphony and Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms.
· A Genworth Pops season that includes ABBA – The Music and a concert with New Orleans’ own Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Richmond’s own No B.S. Brass Band.
The Damnation of Faust, an epic opera story about man’s struggle against the devil, plays at the Carpenter Theater this weekend. The opera plays May 17th at 8PM and also May 18th at 3PM. The show is the season finale for the Richmond Symphony. The Damnation of Faust is a dramatic opera composed by French composer, Hector [...]