Richmond Lesbian-Feminists celebrate 40 years (event list)
Richmond’s longest running, lesbian-specific support group and social club, The Richmond Lesbian Feminists, is celebrating 40 years this month. We’ve got a longer story on the group coming out in a few days, but they wanted us to share some info about their ticketed events which need a bit more of a reservation.
Richmond Lesbian -Feminists evolved when a group at a workshop in 1975 were painfully aware that many feminist groups were either ignoring lesbians or actively trying to discourage their participation. Since the founding, RLF has hosted workshops, social gatherings, partnered with dozens of LGBTQ and human rights organizations and provided information to innumerous women through the newsletter which is still distributed in email form. RLF has been and is a non hierarchal, loosely organized group.
A week long of activities begins with the RLF 40th Celebration for all of the Richmond Community on Saturday, July 18. SAGE,Central Virginia is hosting a panel discussion on Wednesday, July 22nd in the Diversity classroom at 6:30 pm on what is lesbian-feminism, that is also open to the community. Celebrating 40 Years of Bringing Women Together will continue over the next weekend with a concert, potluck brunch,workshops, banquet and dance and a family picnic.
Check out details below and reach out to them directly for more info and tickets at RichmondLF40@gmail.com.
When Chevelle Moss-Savage came into her authentic self and started to embrace her queerness, she eagerly searched within the LGBTQ community for role models/mentors. She said she found them lacking, noting she didn’t see anyone who looked like her or who could relate to her unique intersections. This prompted her to live my life boldly, loudly [...]February 20, 2017
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Michael O. Holman, February 14, 2017
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Patricia R. Corbett, February 9, 2017
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: CasSandra Calin, February 8, 2017
- Prev AP Poll: Businesses should not be allowed to deny LGBTQs service, But VA GOP fights on
- Next Carrie: the Musical – 5th Wall Theatre succeeds where past productions had failed
- Back to top
- CPAC rescinds invite to right wing “provocateur”/Nazi Milo Yiannopoulos for video ‘condoning pedophilia’
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Chevelle Moss-Savage
- TheatreLAB opens ‘The Cellar Series’ tonight with staged reading of Eve Ensler’s ‘the Good Body’
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Zakia McKensey
- Richmond-area freshmen Congressman Don McEachin joins House LGBT Equality Caucus