NOBUNNY Rocks Strange Matter, Everyone Was Acting Bananas
San Francisco-based Nobunny played Strange Matter on last Sunday with tour mates and Wisconsonites the Hussy, and locals Diamond Hairbrush and the Nervous Ticks. DJ Cocobuttons also spun REAL LIFE RECORDS in between sets. It was the perfect set up for a weird-ass-beer-soaked evening.
I missed Diamond Hairbrush but got to the show right in time to see the Nervous Ticks, who never fail to deliver a damn good, super hype, super weird performance. In case you’ve never seen them (shame on you), they’re a loud-ass-three-piece-bluesy-
Then along came The Hussy, a two-piece hailing from the wonderful and cheesy world of Wisconsin. And they were sweet! The Hussy plays badass-psychey-garage-punk; think heavy on the power chords and lots of drum-bashin-and-guitar-
DJ Cocobuttons spun some little-known-but-golden oldies for a good chunk of time in between the Hussy and Nobunny’s sets. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen him DJ before, but he played the Lollipop Shoppe so I now love him. I can’t find anything about him on the Internet, though, and that makes me sad. But if you hear of him spinning anywhere, go – and call me – because I’m down to get down and DJ Cocobuttons brings the retro-infused party.
After roughly a half hour of keeping the crowd on its toes, Nobunny finally played. I’ve been a Nobunny fan since 2009, but I’ve never seen him play because I’m lazy. I have, however, heard a myriad of Nobunny show reviews from some trusted homies. Some people loved him, some said he was “super fucked up” and sucked, others were just like “meh, it was gimmicky.” But I’m a big Nobunny fan so I loved every second of this super hype show.
Here’s the low down on the human man who is Nobunny: Justin Champlin has been dressing up – er – stripping down as Nobunny since 2001, donning only a raggedy bunny mask and briefs on stage while gracing audiences with loud, irreverent garage punk.
Champlin began his set endearingly/awkwardly by “starting” the show three times with three different songs. He then explained to us that he was feeling a bit nervous and anxious and that he wasn’t really feelin’ up to doing the show. But the crowd was so pumped… and so drunk… that he quickly egressed his nervous disposition and delivered a killer – albeit short – performance.
There was a lot of beer throwing and a lot of bouncey moshing and a lot of bizarre physical and emotional confrontations between grown men and a lot of crowd surfing during the half-hour set. It was fun and wild adreneline-pumping, but – at least to me – it was just too damn short. With as many recordings as Nobunny has, I wanted more! I walked away feeling unsatisfied with what I’d gotten. I was also disappointed that he only picked up his guitar a few times, but I guess he wanted to put more into performing. Which he did. Champlin slithered around the stage the entire time, delivering that weird creepy punk I’d been craving.
Plus he ended the show with I am a Girlfriend, which is one of my personal favorites because it’s an upbeat rock song that is (I’m 90 percent sure about this) an ode to Jame Gumb aka Buffalo Bill and George Kuchar together and that pretty much sums up Nobunny.
So wipe that scowl off your face, stop taking yourself so seriously and check out Bye Bye Roxie from October’s Secret Songs here.
Big Freedia on Beyonce, gyrating laws & gritty small shows ahead of 10/15 Strange Matter performance
“I just try and keep my music on a positive happy page and help people enjoy life.”October 12, 2016
- RVA DJ duo Deep Velvet releases new mix ahead of post-VA Pride Animal performance 9/24, September 15, 2016
- Big Freedia returns to RVA this Oct. with “shaking, twerking, bouncing, wobbling, wiggling, bending over, busting open, all of that”, August 17, 2016
- Strange Matter to host benefit concert this Wednesday for Orlando Pulse victims, June 20, 2016
- Prev Dallas Sportscaster Who Spoke Out in Support of Michael Sam Appears on Ellen
- Next Not Everyone Is Thrilled by Facebook’s New Gender Options
- Back to top
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it