National Beer Expo proved Richmond’s love of beer is alive and well
Brewskies were on the minds of many Richmonders this past weekend at the 2nd Annual Capital Ale House Beer Expo.
After my lady and I got our tickets to this day long beer-loving event, we were stoked. Not only are we beer lovers (good beer, that is), our 2015 goal was to hit every Virginia Brewery – we have 20 down, 80 to go and not quite sure if we’ve set realistic expectations.
Nevertheless, having a Saturday afternoon in the cool Greater Richmond Convention Center drinking my favorite beverage was perfection.
- Brooklyn Brewery’s Sorachi Ace 7.4% ABV – Brooklyn’s Summer Ale is my warm weather go-to, but this unfiltered farmhouse style boasts notes of verbena, lemongrass and dill. I feel like this one belongs at Perly’s alongside a bowl of Matzoh ball soup.
- Peak Organic Brewing Company’s Fresh Cut 4.6% ABV – Low in alcohol content, but full of flavor. This light-bodied beer is certainly hoppy but balanced with aromas of grass, citrus and spice. This one is perfect for porch sitting, weekends on the river or back yard barbecuing.
- Lazy Magnolia’s 10 – The oldest brewery in Mississippi came all the way to RVA and was on point with southern flavors. This Imperial Pecan Brown Ale was smooth, perfectly malty and not too rich with nutty and sweet pecan notes.
- Lickinghole Creek’s Batchelors Delight 12% ABV – This boozy Belgian-Style Quad made my lady feel more tipsy than any other beers at the expo. Boasting a hearty ABV and aged over 12 weeks in Nicaraguan Flora de Cana Rum barrels, this one’s perfect for sipping.
I adore good food; the restaurants that serve it, the energy around it (even the hoopla), and telling others about it. When I'm not grubbing down on a great meal or writing, I'm mixing aromatherapy oils, letting Jillian Michaels kick my ass, and discovering new indie music that eventually goes mainstream (sigh).
Can’t wait to try the official VA Pridefest beer? Check out the RVA locations carrying ‘Saison of Love’
Check out the places you can grab a pint of this year’s VA Pridefest official beer “Saison of Love”September 11, 2015
- Prev Local nonprofit design group lead by LGBTQs make impacts for Richmonders who need it most
- Next TheatreLAB’s ‘The Altruists’ puts the spotlight on modern slacktivism
- Back to top
- Diversity Richmond President honored along with mayor elect Stoney at TD event
- Split comedy EP recording is last stop before local comic undergoes bottom surgery
- Orlando City Soccer Club dedicates stadium seating section to Pulse nightclub victims
- ‘After Orlando’ unites theatre companies around the country (and here in RVA) to honor lives lost in the nation’s largest mass shooting
- FKA Twigs hosted a free dance class in Baltimore and made a documentary of it