Movie Reviews: Wish I Was Here & Lucy
Wish I Was Here
Director: Zach Braff
Writers: Adam J. Braff, Zach Braff
Stars: Zach Braff, Joey King, Pierce Gagnon
This is the project that Zach Braff co-wrote/directed/stars in and famously raised the money on Kickstarter. When I saw it, one contributing member of the audience stayed thru the credits to see her name…alas, she was not one of the few selected from the 46K contributors. She was disappointed and so was I (for different reasons). Braff plays an unsuccessful actor, who’s supported by wife Kate Hudson and trying to raise 2 kids. It has tastes of the quirky style he demonstrated in “Garden State,” but it’s trying too hard to find that left-field charm. Then comes his father’s death, which permeates the final act with tedious drama. While it’s well enough directed and the performances are fine, his ambitious but unsuccessful script drags the whole thing down.
GAY ANGLE: Judging from one short shirtless scene, Braff still average, but in better shape than he used to be.
Director: Luc Besson
Writer: Luc Besson
Stars: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Min-sik Choi
The best thing about futuristic, sci-fi is when it shows us truly mind-blowing concepts and visuals. In this case, that’s literally what happens. Scarlett Johansson plays a woman who accidentally ingests a substance that enables her to use increasingly large portions of her brain’s ability. This gives her powers that allow her to control the world around her. The film is full of cool ideas that are illuminated with strong special effects. Johansson is up to the challenges of super skills, both mentally and physically. Writer/director Luc Besson has added his signature action (that crazy car chase) to give the visuals even more of an impact. A fun trip!
GAY ANGLE: It’s pretty much all about Scarlett. No hot men of any notice.
Jerry Williams reviewed movies for WTVR-TV for 14 years and for Style Weekly for 10 years. When he launched his own website in 1998 at TVJerry.com, he took his reviews to the Internet. Through those hundreds of reviews, Jerry kept his sexual orientation muted. So, he's excited to be adding "gay angles" to his postings for GayRVA.com.
One of Franco’s serious roles & if you want online thrills, stick to gay dating sitesApril 21, 2015
- Movie reviews: Effie Gray & Furious 7, April 7, 2015
- Movie Reviews: The Divergent Series: Insurgent, It Follows, & Home, April 3, 2015
- Movie Reviews: The Gunman, Get Hard, & Wild Tales, March 31, 2015
- Prev “I am me and that’s all it needs to be” – Trans Irish Folks Explore Their Identities in New Video
- Next AG Herring Asks for Supreme Court Review of Virginia’s Same-sex Marriage Decision
- Back to top
- Theatre VCU’s ‘A Trip to Bountiful’ is a bounty of delights
- Hillary Campaign brings actor Blake Cooper Griffin to VA Pride
- AG Herring and VA’s marriage equality plaintiffs open Hillary Campaign office in Southside
- The Valentine’s Lesbian and Gay bus tour returns just in time to coincide with Pride
- Boys Noize drops new Snowden-themed video on 4Chan ahead of DC show