I’m Sick of “Same Love” but I love “She Keeps Me Warm”
I’m pretty sick and tired of “Same Love” – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis did some great work making a song that every ally in the country can raise a flag around – but in the end, he’s still speaking for us as a straight man, and not as part of the LGBT community.
Meanwhile, Mary Lambert, the beautiful vocalist who sings the hook on “Same Love,” has released the full version of that hook – “I can’t change… no matter how I try… She keeps me warm… she keeps me warm…”
Not only is the song amazing, but the video is freaking adorable and (seems to be) a fairly realistic portrayal of a same-sex relationship (IMO) Take a look:
A few details from the song’s about section:
Mary Lambert’s new single, “She Keeps Me Warm”, is the singer/songwriter’s extension of her collaboration with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis on the international smash “Same Love”. Where that song advocated a message of equality for same-sex couples, “She Keeps Me Warm” celebrates the love and attraction within same-sex relationships. It is a pure love song meant for all people, intending not to exploit or provide shock value, but to paint a graceful and powerful romantic picture.
And HollywoodLife.com has some interesting background info on Ms. Lambert as well:
1. She’s an author. Along with writing incredible songs, Mary also released her own book of poetry, 500 Tips For Fat Girls. “The collection spans a variety of my experiences: being bipolar, heartbreak, rape, incest and falling in love with women,” Mary told AutoStraddle.com.
2. She taught herself how to play piano. That’s right, Mary is a self-taught musician. She reportedly began teaching herself how to play and write songs at the age of six as a way to cope with living in a difficult household.
3. She’s an out-and-proud lesbian. She recently wrote a really moving blog post about filming the music video for her single “She Keeps Me Warm” that’s definitely worth a read.
4. She’s taken. Mary lives in Seattle, Wash., with her long-time girlfriend, Rachel. (Sorry, ladies!)
5. Her mother is also a lesbian. In fact, when Mary was only six years old, her family was ousted from the Pentecostal church because her mother came out of the closet.
PRIDEFEST 2016 is just days away and VA Pride is happy to announce our lineup for the festival. Your 2016 PRIDEFEST HEADLINER is Mary Lambert! Mary Lambert is an American singer, songwriter, and spoken word artist. Lambert is the featured artist Macklemore and Ryan Lewis single, “Same Love” MAINSTAGE- presented by SKYY Vodka 12:00 Amy Henderson 1:00 Afro-Zen Allstars 2:00 Trunk Show Band 3:00 [...]September 15, 2016
- Prev Tennessee School Board Removes LGBT “Safe Spaces” from Public Schools
- Next Gay Rapper/Singer Solomon Drops “The Way We Were”
- Back to top
- Congressman Dave Brat signs letter urging Trump to support federal “religious freedom” law
- Northam recruits Virginia’s same-sex marriage plaintiffs in new campaign ad
- ‘Beautiful: The Carol King Musical’ at the Altria offers powerful insight into the pop music legend’s dark romantic past
- Richmond LGBTQ activist found stabbed to death, left for weeks, in Chesterfield home
- National LGBTQ campaign group backs transgender candidate in race against author of Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban