Double Duchess and Normaling return to RVA for Animal this weekend
Two queer bands are headed back to our fair city this weekend, and the folks from Animal, RVA’s best queer dance party, are pumped to bring them to town.
Back in December, 2014, we spoke some with Baltimore’s Normaling ahead of their last RVA show. Lemz, one half of the DJ duo along side .rar, spoke some about how his sexuality impacts the bang’n tracks they make:
As an out and proud gay man, being gay has warped into my daily life and become a part of my identity. I am inspired by so many aspects of gay culture from years past all the way until this very moment. I am a huge fan of artists that were vocal about their sexuality in a time where it wasn’t as accepted, namely Patrick Cowley & Sylvester. I view them as heroes and influences of mine. However, I’ve always tended to shy away from actually placing my sexuality as a main aspect of my music. I’ve always aimed to be a good artist that’s gay, not a gay artist that’s good. This does not mean I don’t include my gay influence in our music, though! One of the tracks on our debut EP, ‘Shade’, features a Baltimore local named DDm, who is an amazing rapper and very open about being gay. The track is influenced by vogue music and so DDm throws SO much shade through his lyrics. My being gay is definitely a part of the Normaling identity just as much as .rar Kelly’s straight preferences are. The element is definitely there and not hard to find, but our main focus is just to make music we enjoy. It just so happens that we enjoy and find inspiration from what’s dubbed as “gay music”.
Check out some of Normaling’s latest release, “Full Metal,” below:
The next name on Saturday’s line up is one some of you are already very familiar with – Double Duchess.
The vivacious twosome, Krylon and davO, started creating music together four years ago, bonding over their passion for dance and high-energy! Before uniting, Krylon Superstar danced as a club kid in New York City and davO fronted a multi-genre band (Hip-Hop, funk and punk). Today, davO produces, writes songs, and DJs for Double Duchess whilst Krylon’s performance background helps give their live performances and visual presence that certain spark that their fans have grown to love.
Check out their newest track, ”Good Girl Freak Out,” below:
@ Strange Matter
This is an 18+ SHOW!
$5-8 sliding scale –> 21+
$8 firm –> UNDER 21
*Anyone giving $8 to the bands is eligible for kisses + swag
“It’s those small things that make you feel yourself and I want people to feel themselves.”March 14, 2017
- ‘Turn’ star to DJ at The Hof for Diversity Richmond and PLF benefit, March 9, 2017
- RVA’s LGBTQ Halloween 2016 Party list, October 26, 2016
- RVA DJ duo Deep Velvet releases new mix ahead of post-VA Pride Animal performance 9/24, September 15, 2016
- Prev 6 GIFs to help remind you to go see ‘Carrie: The Musical’
- Next Harrisonburg’s Eastern Mennonite University expands non-discrimination policy to include married LGBTQs
- Back to top
- RVA salons cut gender out of pricing
- RTP Audition Notice: ‘The View UpStairs’ on stage August-September
- Ahead of return to Fourth Circuit, Virginia teen sees massive legal support for fight against anti-trans bathroom laws
- Support for same-sex has doubled since Gallop first asked 21 years ago
- Side by Side offers alternative prom for Central VA’s LGBTQ youth