Disney’s ‘Newsies’ comes to Altria theatre 11/3
Just in our inbox from The Altria Theatre:
Disney Theatrical Productions and Broadway In Richmond announced today that tickets for the highly anticipated Richmond engagement of DISNEY’S NEWSIES will go on sale to the public on Monday, September 14, 2015 at 10 am. The Tony® Award-winning production will begin performances at Altria Theater on Tuesday, November 3 for a limited engagement of one week through Sunday, November 8.
NEWSIES, the new American musical, features a Tony® Award-winning score with music by eight-time Academy Award® winner Alan Menken and lyrics by Jack Feldman, a book by four-time Tony® Award winner Harvey Fierstein and is produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, NEWSIES is directed by Tony® nominee Jeff Calhoun and choreographed by Christopher Gattelli, who won a 2012 Tony Award® for his work. The entire creative team has reunited to bring the break-out smash musical to audiences across North America.
When it opened on March 29, 2012 NEWSIES was intended for a Broadway run of just 101 performances. The show’s fiercely devoted fans had other ideas, however; they propelled the show to a run of 1005 performances, attendance of more than 1 million and a gross of over $100M. While on Broadway, NEWSIES set and broke seven Nederlander Theatre house records and became the highest-grossing show from the 2011-12 Broadway season. The show received 23 major theatrical nominations – including eight Tony Award® nods – and won Tony®, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards for Score and Choreography.
Set in New York City at the turn of the century, NEWSIES is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teenaged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right.
NEWSIES is inspired by the real-life ‘Newsboy Strike of 1899,’ when newsboy Kid Blink led a band of orphan and runaway newsies on a two-week-long action against Pulitzer, Hearst and other powerful newspaper publishers. The stage version introduces seven brand-new songs by the original team of Menken and Feldman, including a song written specifically for the tour called ‘Letter from the Refuge,’ while keeping many of the beloved songs from the film, including ‘Carrying the Banner, ‘Seize the Day,’ ‘King of New York’ and ‘Santa Fe.’
Since the film’s 1992 theatrical release and subsequent DVD release, NEWSIES has grown into a cult phenomenon, and for years had been the single most requested title of all the Disney musical films not yet adapted for the stage. (The film featured a screenplay by Bob Tzudiker & Noni White (Tarzan, 102 Dalmatians).)
For more information, visit NewsiesTheMusical.com, Facebook.com/Newsies
Beginning Monday, September 14, tickets will be available at Altria Theater and Carpenter Theatre box offices and online at www.BroadwayInRichmond.com To charge tickets, call 1 (800) 514-3849 (ETIX). Orders for groups of twenty (20) or more may be placed by calling (804) 592-3401.
‘Beautiful: The Carol King Musical’ at the Altria offers powerful insight into the pop music legend’s dark romantic past
Since seeing the poster for the touring Beautiful: The Carol King Musical, while visiting Denver last June, I began promptly searching of local dates. I have been eagerly waiting for the musical’s arrival in Richmond and last night it began a six night run (April 25-30) at The Altria Theatre and it was everything I wanted it to [...]April 26, 2017
- Quill Theatre brings 18th century Paris to life in its adaptation of David Ives’ comedy ‘The Heir Apparent’, April 17, 2017
- ALBEE FEST digs deep into the prolific playwrights past for multiple performances at Firehouse Theatre, April 11, 2017
- A look at the Rodney King riots 25 years later in ‘Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992′ at TheatreLAB this weekend, March 30, 2017
- Prev VA Pridefest 2015 Schedule of events (with full official Pride Guide)
- Next Can’t wait to try the official VA Pridefest beer? Check out the RVA locations carrying ‘Saison of Love’
- Back to top
- May PFLAG meeting features public school employees to discuss how schools handle LGBTQ students
- Surviving faith and family, Jaimie Wilson looks to support trans people like himself through music
- Richmond Triangle Players buys building, names it after “cornerstone” supporter Robert B Moss
- HAIM drops first record in four years, new single is minimal pop gold
- Join Richmond Business Alliance at the VMFA for OutRVA benefit this Friday