Auditions for RVA Shakespeare This Weekend
We just got this in our inbox and figure and kind of spoke for itself – contact info for those of you with questions is available at the bottom of the post. Break a leg!
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Directed by Jan Powell
Performances: June 12 - July 6, 2014
Performance location: Agecroft Hall
Rehearsals begin: Monday, May 5, 2014
THESEUS (M) 25-40 : The Duke of Athens, engaged to Hippolyta. He is an effective and respected leader.
HIPPOLYTA(F) 25-40 : Queen of the Amazons, engaged to Theseus. Fierce, formidable, and often silent.
HERMIA(F) 18-26 (must be 5’6″ or shorter) : Daughter to Egeus, best friends with Helena. In love with Lysander. Renowned for her beauty.
HELENA (F) 18-26 (must be 5’8″ or taller): Best friends with Hermia, in love with ex-boyfriend Demetrius. Tall, gawky, geeky, she thinks of herself as unattractive and undesirable.
LYSANDER (M)18-26: In love with Hermia. Adventurous, rebellious, heroic, passionate, and inexperienced.
DEMETRIUS (M) 18-26: Helena’s ex-boyfriend. Conservative, ambitious, handsome, mean and manipulative.
EGEUS (M) 50-75: A nobleman, Hermia’s father.
PHILOSTRATE (M/F) Any age/type: Theseus’s Master of the Revels: a mix between a head butler and a cruise director.
OBERON (M) 25-45: King of the Fairies: extremely powerful, sensual, jealous, clever and manipulative.
TITANIA (F) 25-45: Queen of the Fairies: rules with authority, sensuality, grace, and incredible power.
PUCK (M/F) Any age/type: The trickster spirit: out for a good time, playing pranks on humans.
FAIRIES (M/F) Any age/type: Dedicated otherworldly spirits, serving Titania or Oberon.
INDIAN BOY (M/F) Able to play 4 to 5 years old. Nonspeaking. Darker hair and complexionpreferable, but all children will be considered.
PETER QUINCE (M/F) Any age: A carpenter: the anxious director of the Pyramus and Thisbe play.
NICK BOTTOM (M) 30-60: A buffoon: egotistical, warm-hearted, ambitious, but ultimately loveable.
SNUG (M) 35-55: A construction woodworker: slow, sweet, kind, nervous, and not terribly bright.
FRANCIS FLUTE (M) 18-25: A bellows-mender: young, shy, and enthusiastic.
TOM SNOUT (M) 25-50: A metalworker: reliable, even-tempered, “normal” guy, everybody’s best friend.
ROBIN STARVELING (M/F) Any age: A tailor: sensitive, fussy, grumpy, set in his/her ways.
- Many actors will be double or triple cast, playing two or three roles.
- All roles are open to all ethnicities.
- Gender/age is suggested, but we will consider actors outside those ranges.
- All roles will require physical acting, some including near-acrobatic moves. Training in dance, gymnastics, martial arts, musical instruments and/or singing is a plus in any role.
- The role of the Indian Boy may be cast with several young actors, performing on alternating nights.
Directed by James Alexander Bond
Performances: July 10 – August 3, 2014
Performance location: Agecroft Hall
Rehearsals begin: Monday, June 2, 2014
RICHARD THE THIRD (M) 25-45: Charismatic, passionate, brilliant, manipulator, sadistic, darkly attractive. Actor needs to be in excellent physical shape.
QUEEN ELIZABETH (F) 35-45: Regal, with a strong sense of mission, has integrity but also politically savvy. A fiercely devoted mother and caretaker of her invalid husband.
GEORGE, DUKE OF CLARENCE (M) 35-55: Richard’s older brother, softer & gentler than his brothers, gullible, imaginative, trusting, straightforward, but weak-willed.
EDWARD IV, KING OF ENGLAND (M) 40-60: Richard’s oldest brother, the King of England. In the past, he was an egocentric playboy and then a powerful king, but now very ill-foolish, confused, paranoid.
LADY ANNE (F) 20-35: The daughter-in-law of Henry VI. Regal, cool, self-possessed.
QUEEN MARGARET (F) 50-80: Former Queen of England, her family has all been killed; now she wanders the castle like a ghost, cursing the royal family.
DUKE OF BUCKINGHAM (M) 35-60: Richard’s right hand man. A strong soldier and a master manipulator.
DUCHESS OF YORK (F) 55-75: Richard’s mother, she is regal, powerful, smart, loyal to the family.
EARL OF RICHMOND (M) 25-35: He is a young hero: a great soldier, handsome, charismatic and eloquent.
LORD HASTINGS (M) 40-65: Stable, traditional, dutiful, Hastings is a nobleman loyal to Richard, ultimately betrayed and decapitated.
TYRRELL (M) Any age: A rough criminal with a conscience, arranges for the murder of the young princes.
PRINCE EDWARD and RICHARD, DUKE OF YORK (M): William is conservative, noble, cautious, intelligent: able to play 10-12 years old. Richard is naughty, funny, a bit of a brat: able to play 8-9 years old.
- All ethnicities and differently-abled actors will be considered.
- Director is still considering character inclusions and doublings.
- Training and/or experience in stage combat a plus.
Saturday, December 7th – 12:30 to 5pm-NO SLOTS AVAILABLE
Sunday, December 8th, 6pm to 9pm
Callbacks Midsummer: Monday, December 9th at 5:30pm
Callbacks RIII: Tuesday, December 10th at 5:30pm
Location: GCCR – 1407 Sherwood Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220
- If you have never been in a Henley Street or Richmond Shakespeare play, then you will be asked to present a one-minute Shakespearean monologue. Returning actors will read from the script.
- Please bring one headshot and resume
- Most acting positions are paid.
- One Equity contract is available for the role of Richard.
- No conflicts will be accepted 3 weeks prior to opening week.
To schedule an audition, please contact Brittany Keegan at: Bkeegan@
“You make your own right and wrong.”May 18, 2015
- Prev Russian High Court Rules Against LGBT Activist, Upholds ‘Gay Propaganda’ Law
- Next OpEd: The Ghost of The Salvation Army’s Anti-LGBTQ Past – Skip the Red Buckets This Year
- Back to top
- RVA LGBTQ Black History Month Honoree: Zakia McKensey
- Richmond-area freshmen Congressman Don McEachin joins House LGBT Equality Caucus
- Washington State Supreme Court sides with same-sex couple who was refused service by Christian florist
- VA House moves anti same-sex marriage bill one step closer to passage
- RTP’s ‘Choir Boy’ highlights intersectionality set to a powerful Gospel groove