Animal returns to Strange Matter with queer dance party and Dazeases video release
We are pretty big fans of what is going on Saturday night.
Don’t get me wrong, last month’s Animal trip to Fallout was kind of the best, but we’re excited to see them get back to their Fan-roots, and it doesn’t hurt that we’ve been on the Dazeases hype-train for a few months now.
Check out some of her tracks below:
Dazeases, aka Richmonder and recent VCU graduate London Perry, has been performing her material for almost two years now, with this being her first solo project. As far as inspirations for her music, Perry draws from personal experiences, her fascination with hook up culture and the desire for emotional directness.
“Almost everything that I sing about has happened to me or affected me in someway,” Perry said. “I don’t want to devalue my personhood; I just want it amplified through my music. I just want to know why people operate in a way where they disguise their emotions. It seems exhausting.”
As if that wasn’t enough, another GayRVA/RVAMag favorite MNLV will play a set. Minilov (AKA MNLV, AKA Hannah Mairead)’s tracks is like draping a dreamy silk shawl of vocals around your bare shoulders. Waves of soulful madness loop in and out of her vocals and her sultry-ridden alternative r&b tracks force you to dive into more.
“The alternative R&B is driven by the lurid nature of the lyrics and beats.” Mairead said. “I gravitate towards certain styles of hip-hop drums, juxtaposing that with lighter guitars, classic saxophone by my roommate, and piano keys.”
Inspired by George Orwell’s language of Newspeak in his novel 1984, Mairead is primarily known under her stage name as MNLV (mini love) and has gained quite a following here in Richmond.
To say we’re excited about this show is an under statement, and it all goes down this Saturday at Strange Matter. More details via facebook below:
18+ // $5 for 21+ // $7 under 21
[A] [B] [O] [U] [T]
Lo-fi electronic. Doom pop.
Experimental. Electro Pop.
Genre bending. Without boundaries.
CONLEY DIRT STASH of ANIMAL
Queer. Electro. Anything goes.
ANIMAL is a creative collective. We are DJs, musicians, artists, and everything in between. Together we produce queer-friendly events throughout Richmond, VA by assembling eclectic, often eccentric, collaborators.
ᐃᛣᛤᛥᛞᛰᛯᐃ ALL HUMANS WELCOME ᐃᛯᛰᛞᛥᛤᛣᐃ
It all happens at Fallout (117 N 18th St) Saturday, 6/18 at 10:30 PM. We’ll see you there!June 17, 2016
- Single on Valentines? Check out Animal back at Smatter Saturday Night, February 11, 2015
- 5 songs you’ll hear at ANIMAL when it returns to Balliceaux this Saturday, December 12, 2014
- Baltimore’s Normaling brings pure beats to Animal this Saturday (12/6), December 4, 2014
- Prev Trans-led punk band Against Me! to play NC despite anti-LGBTQ law HB 2
- Next ND Lesbian waitress receives Biblical verse instead of tip
- Back to top
- First same-sex marriage related bill dies in VA Senate committee (expectedly)
- Longtime RVA lesbian activist Beth Marschak’s speech from March on Monument
- Firehouse Theatre and TheatreLAB open casting call for ‘Heathers: the Musical’
- 5th Wall’s ‘Luna Gale’ explores the dilemma of what is “best” for the child
- The Black Vaudeville experience exposed in Quill Theatre’s original musical drama “Top of Bravery”