5th Wall Theatre co-founder Billy Christopher Maupin to step down in October
A message came into our inbox this AM announcing Billy Christopher Maupin’s departure from the 5th Wall Theatre. Below is a copy of that message:
Maupin came together with Firehouse Theatre Project (FTP) Founding Artistic Director Carol Piersol in February 2013, following her departure from FTP, to incorporate The New Theatre Project and produce Breast in Show, in partnership with Virginia Repertory Theatre. They went on to produce Gidion’s Knot (with associate producer Keri Wormald), Race (with African American Repertory Theatre), and Patti Issues (with Richmond Triangle Players) under the banner “Carol Piersol presents.”
Last summer, Piersol and Maupin decided to take a more permanent stance, establish a board of directors, obtain 501(c)(3) nonprofit status, and officially emerge with a new name, “5th Wall Theatre,” with a mission to produce “theatre beyond boundaries, that explores the human condition beyond the fourth wall.”
During the life of 5th Wall, Maupin has directed successful productions of Breast in Show, The Lyons, and Carrie the Musical, as well as numerous staged readings, including the continuation of his series of Gender-Reversed Explorations of Shakespeare. He appeared in David Mamet’s Race and starred in Ben Rimalower’s one-man play, Patti Issues (directed by Piersol herself).
“It has been such an incredible journey. It’s truly been an honor to collaborate with Carol and to help bridge that gap between what was before and what was to come next. It’s thrilling not only to look back at all of the great theatre that has come out of this, but also to look forward to the future of this exciting season and beyond,” Maupin said his departure.
“It’s been an incredibly enriching and challenging experience to be a part of building a company from the ground up, though, of course, we had a great head start with Carol’s foundation and an immense amount of support from the community. I will forever cherish and value this experience and the lessons I’ve been able to learn from it. And I look forward to watching 5th Wall grow and flourish and continue to enrich this diverse and awesome community.”
5th Wall Theatre co-founder Carol Piersol remarked, “Billy Christopher brings a tremendous amount of energy and a unique perspective to the theatre, and I am proud to have brought 5th Wall to life with him. Billy Christopher is a valued Board member and artistic partner.”
Maupin will continue his administrative work with 5th Wall over the next two months as Associate Artistic Director Emeritus to assist with the transition.
“A trip to an often forgotten time and place.”May 18, 2017
- Quill Theatre brings 18th century Paris to life in its adaptation of David Ives’ comedy ‘The Heir Apparent’, April 17, 2017
- ALBEE FEST digs deep into the prolific playwrights past for multiple performances at Firehouse Theatre, April 11, 2017
- A look at the Rodney King riots 25 years later in ‘Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992′ at TheatreLAB this weekend, March 30, 2017
- Prev Kristen Stewart on coming out
- Next Eighth Annual “Artsies” Awards nominations announced
- Back to top
- Designer to the stars, Lynchburg resident and trans woman, India Laposh will amaze you
- Notre Dame walkouts, rainbow-topped grad caps, spur protest from Evangelical leader Franklin Graham
- GOP Gubernatorial frontrunner endorsed by radical VA Beach Christian leader and failed Lt. Gov candidate
- RVA salons cut gender out of pricing
- RTP Audition Notice: ‘The View UpStairs’ on stage August-September